*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Cable routing

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: Cable routing

Postby Mfr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:55 pm

Sorry 77Ahmp not 750! Right, finally got this lot finished first impressions are van starts a lot faster, in fact I'm having to learn to let go from starting position quicker before the engine ends up running the starter! Its mental what a difference good cables make. I got most of the parts from Altecautomotive, really helpful and quick. Most people won't include the busbar but I'm leaving room for an inverter at some point. All joints are soldered and crimped with heat shrink. I couldn't find glue type heat shrink so I just used super glue before heating the heat shrink (watch out for super glue burning off, really bad fumes). I put two cables from the busbar to the starter A to spread the load over a combined 70mm squared cable and B so the load goes through the two cables and not as much through the actual busbar plate, rated to 350AMP.
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mfr » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Mfr wrote:Hmm, OK. I will have the 2 batt's + connected to the starter then move the alternator + cable to the starter motor so that charge goes more equally to both batteries. Sound OK? I can't think why not. My Brother's factory 2 battery system just has the second battery directly connected to the first battery. Has to be better than that.

Scratch that, on the factory setup both batteries go to starter its just that the second battery cable enters from behind and is hard to see (so to speak) :lol: need to be careful I don't say that 3 times or I'll summon BJT :shock:
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Kedishen » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:35 pm

Now if only I had about 10 metres of that starter cable...
Livin' in me van in Portugal.

'93 Mk4 TD 150L Hitop Custom Camper
100ps Epic blue spot
Kedishen
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mfr » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:54 am

Update.. Borrowed an idea from the land rover lads and fitted a Anderson plug to make jump starting a bit easier, (not having to remove the induction pipe) also fitted a 20amp socket with in line fuse for the back. Best bit is people can't borrow my jump leads for 3 months any more :x :lol:
Mfr
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits