*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

what engine

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

what engine

Postby whippetman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:25 pm

finally disconected the egr thingy and cant believe the difference the engine feels,more power no smoke and seems to be better on diesel,it does,nt have the banana manifold though, is this right for the year,the info i,ve got on the van is 2.5d,70ps,97ld,svp 80 bonus and its r reg on 98,any help would be appreciated,thanks :roll:
whippetman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MrMPuk » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:18 pm

The 70ps engine was not the banana engine which is right on that year.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gazza » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:36 pm

whys that then? pot luck which one you have from around this time, me and a mate have 76ps engines on 99 lwb 100, another mate has 70ps on a 99 lwb 100, all form same dealer for smae hire company.

while you are in there fidling, check the leak off rail comes of of No. 1 injector (front cylinder) not N0. 4 (rear) if its on No. 4, swap it round to No. 1 you will need some leak off rail pipe from your motor factors, do a search as i have posted this on here before
gazza
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:38 pm

The 76ps engine was an option, from what madmark was saying it was a free option. So it can be potluck on which engine you have.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby whippetman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:11 pm

gazza i dont want to sound dumb but why do i need to swap leak off pipes?cheers
whippetman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby bazw » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:43 pm

whippetman wrote:gazza i dont want to sound dumb but why do i need to swap leak off pipes?cheers

and does it apply to banana motors too :D
350L Series 56 plate
2.4 duratorq 115 ps
A.R. 4.27
bazw
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Nighthawk » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:12 pm

Yes you should reroute the leak off pipe, but you should also make sure it's done correctly, I've tinkered with lots that weren't done correctly and the concern your trying to eliminate with the rework returned.

In a nut shell, Air can be drawn into the fuel injectors via the leak off system, No 4 injector is a little lower than No1 because of the angle of the engine. That caused an air ingress issue when the engine was turned off and the fuel in the leak off ran down to the tank.

If you use the blank from No1 injector on No4 and fit a new length of leak off hose between No1 and the original fitting on the return pipe. The vehicle should go for a test drive of at least 3 miles after it's been modified to clear the air from the pipe work.

This length of hose should be secured to the inlet manifold at a level above No1 though, if it's allowed to hang below it, it can cause a repeat failure.

You'll know if you have the concern, as the engine will effectively run on 3 cylinders (very lumpy), but cracking off one injector pipe at a time will clear the concern for a few days.

And yes it's a modification thats applicable to both 70 and 76 Ps engines.

My tip for this is.

get a small pair of side cutters for sniping off the metal pipe clip on the return pipe. And do it on a cold engine :wink:

Hope that helps
Nighthawk
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: what engine

Postby athens » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:11 pm

whippetman wrote:finally disconected the egr thingy

whats the egr thingy and how do I disconnect it

my fathers x plate 2.5di is really slow compaired to the old k plate model we used to use.

I have thought about changing the engines over.

I'll need to check what the engine types are, but the engine in the newer Transit is a lot slower even just reving it (takes longer to build up). Both of the engines run great.

On another note, anyone ever had a problem with starter motors on certain models? I just fitted a new battery to temporarily fix a problem of slow turning over when starting, the starter gets warm and as well as the leads to it, so I'm guessing the starter is on the road out, but I have been told that some model engines had a fault leading to this problem.
If you don't like cats you must have been a mouse in a past life.
athens

Postby MrMPuk » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:50 pm

The problem with the starter sounds like a bad earth or a bad connection on the terminals, nothing major try giving all the connections a good clean up.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby athens » Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:23 pm

I'll try that first and see if it makes a difference, thanks!
If you don't like cats you must have been a mouse in a past life.
athens

Postby whippetman » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:49 pm

have checked the return pipe on the injecters,luckly its allready been swapped to no 1,yet again thanks for all the help and advice,the van starts 1st time,runs like a dream and doesnt smoke,all i have to do now is fit a new clutch and source some rear springs when time and money allows it,thanks again
whippetman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits