*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My 1978 Mk2 Transit CI Motorhome Baby

Members can put pictures of their Transit on here!

My 1978 Mk2 Transit CI Motorhome Baby

Postby unixanalyst » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:21 pm

Here's some pics of my baby. I lived in it for 3 months in 2005 while I was working in Zurich. Very comfy she was too.
Made it all the way there and back without any problems.

However, last November we went to the Aran Islands for a week and on the way back the engine sound suddenly changed rather dramatically.
She lost power noticably, every mile of the way. She barely made it home, stalling every time I took my foot off the gas.
When I got the head off and took it to someone who knows what they're doing, he confirmed that 6 of the eight valves had no pressure...
you could even see daylight through one of them!

I'm no mechanic but I figured that as she was, I no longer had a camper.
So there was nothing to lose in me having a go at getting her back on her feet (wheels?).
A couple of weeks ago she started up again and I am once again a happy bunny.

The bits I've done are the braided hoses, the over-spec wiring, rebuilt head, rebuilt block, new air filter, branch manifold etc.
It doesn't look as nice as it did a week ago because the rocker cover isn't torqued down and sprays oil everywhere.
I put some fancy bolts on from ebay and can't find a tool to torque them, so it leaks... grr! Digging around for my old bolts now.

You may have noticed the hideous steel frame welded to the top of the cab.
That's to support the overhanging bed now that the corner has rotted away.
Fixing this corner and removing the support is on my list of jobs.

I have a buddy who was a coachbuilder. He has been explaining to me how easy it will be to build a fairing to go between the cab and the overhang.
Apparently the way forward is to find a bumper or fairing or something that is close to what is needed and modify it using fibreglass. Can't wait.

unixanalyst
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FredTransit » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:56 am

Puttin a fairing between the cab and body will improve the MPG, as that gap is a massive air trap.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist

Postby unixanalyst » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:51 pm

FredTransit wrote:Puttin a fairing between the cab and body will improve the MPG, as that gap is a massive air trap.

And she'll be so much more pretty.
unixanalyst
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Members Transits Gallery!