*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


PLEASE HELP!! ->Diesel Leak on a '85 MK2

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

PLEASE HELP!! ->Diesel Leak on a '85 MK2

Postby Inline Boarding Portugal » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:30 am

Hi.
As some of you may have read, our beloved MK2 started a huge leak of diesel on the exact same day that we (7guys + A LOT of lugagges) went for a 16 days, 5000+Kms Portugal-Morrocco-Portugal Trip. (more details can be found here -> http://www.fordtransit.org/forum/viewto ... highlight= including some videos of it)
The van made it pretty ok, yes-always leaking during the all trip, but we haven't had any problems more than that. 8)

Now, it's time to fix the leak, and I don't have a clue about it.
I took a picture of the thing dripping: (black plastic disconected before taking the picture..)
Image


At first, I was a little sceptical about unmounting the part without further details, because it seems to have some kind of regulation role.
Right now, I've took it off..
-And I think it's probably lacking an O-ring...
Image
What do you think?
Any help regarding these would be extremly appreciated.

I also would like to ask for some advice regarding how to put it back on place.. :wink:

Thank you. :)
Every now and then being lifted by:
-> '85 DI MK2 phase2 Grey Minibus
-> '81 York diesel MK2 phase1 White Minibus

## INLINE BOARDING PORTUGAL ##
User avatar
Inline Boarding Portugal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: PORTUGAL

Postby Inline Boarding Portugal » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:39 am

PLEASE HELP!! :wink:
Every now and then being lifted by:
-> '85 DI MK2 phase2 Grey Minibus
-> '81 York diesel MK2 phase1 White Minibus

## INLINE BOARDING PORTUGAL ##
User avatar
Inline Boarding Portugal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: PORTUGAL

Postby rover » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Wether there is an 'o' ring missing or not I couldnt say, but I would replace the ones that are there and put it back together.

Rover.
User avatar
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6397
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:03 am
Location: Nottinghamshire

Postby Inline Boarding Portugal » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:35 pm

I will, for sure, replace the two worn o-rings...

My doubt right now is if it's possible to have another o-ring lacking at the base of the piece (where the arrow points) as it have a case that seems to indicate the presence of one on the past.. :?


I also would like to know what's the function of this part on the fuel pump)

:wink:
Every now and then being lifted by:
-> '85 DI MK2 phase2 Grey Minibus
-> '81 York diesel MK2 phase1 White Minibus

## INLINE BOARDING PORTUGAL ##
User avatar
Inline Boarding Portugal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: PORTUGAL

Postby Inline Boarding Portugal » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:16 am

I forgot to mention, but the pictures were taken from the backside of the fuel pump...(Which is, for the records, a Lucas-CAV unit...)

MrMPuk wrote:
Inline Boarding Portugal wrote:
MrMPuk wrote:Take it to a diesel specialist, will probably only take 5 minutes and cost very little.
:?:

Sort the leak out.

Right now might be late... I will not go to a diesel specialist with all the parts on my hand beg for assistance.. :oops:

Anyway, what would be the fun of it?
-I'm willing to fix it myself, with the priceless help from the users of this forum.. :wink:

So, please.. ANYONE?? eheh
Every now and then being lifted by:
-> '85 DI MK2 phase2 Grey Minibus
-> '81 York diesel MK2 phase1 White Minibus

## INLINE BOARDING PORTUGAL ##
User avatar
Inline Boarding Portugal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: PORTUGAL

Re: PLEASE HELP!! ->Diesel Leak on a '85 MK2

Postby Inline Boarding Portugal » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:56 am

Well..

The van it's now alive, kicking and not leaking anymore!! :mrgreen:

After a deep inspection, I discovered that the leak, was not one but two (2) of them.

The repair was made like I was able to do it... Not a great job (I needed some parts that I wouldn't have) but better then it was, for sure.

And...
:arrow: I've dismantled a F1 to get parts do our beloved DIRTVAN. :lol: :mrgreen: :twisted:



That's right!

The round part was more like a triangle, and once didn't had any better, a wheel from a F1 toy fitted perfectly!
Image


Mounted...
Image
The "R" indicates one of the leaks (the bad one!)


Image


After.. (I felt like a dentist, after 1 hour of using my dremmel LOL)
I know that I shouldn't change the form of that piece, but I tought that changing it was better then drag that it was doing...
Image


More damage...
Image


New one placed
Image




8)

Just for kicks, we already made the test-run...
More 1000 kms last weekend, with several trails of rocks and bumps on the mountain.. eheheh

DIRTVAN JUST RULES!!
Every now and then being lifted by:
-> '85 DI MK2 phase2 Grey Minibus
-> '81 York diesel MK2 phase1 White Minibus

## INLINE BOARDING PORTUGAL ##
User avatar
Inline Boarding Portugal
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:47 pm
Location: PORTUGAL

Re: PLEASE HELP!! ->Diesel Leak on a '85 MK2

Postby Luke » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:54 am

top work mate 8) 8) love the model car wheel idea :lol:
User avatar
Luke
Site Admin
 
Posts: 44563
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:53 am
Location: Rotherham, Yorkshire!!

Re: PLEASE HELP!! ->Diesel Leak on a '85 MK2

Postby FredTransit » Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Nice one IBP! At first I thought you had been in the pit lame somewhere when you said a wheel off an F1, till I read toy!!! :lol:
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London


Return to Mk 1 & 2



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.