*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

swop Transit for old mercedes?

Need a Tranny! Post Here!

Moderator: Luke

swop Transit for old mercedes?

Postby popuptoaster » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:34 pm

Hi all, tis me back again, Im looking for a transit to convert to a day van, trouble is im off work due to health problem, so financially im in a bind.

I have a tatty but running 1972 (free tax) W115 mercedes 220 saloon, car runs fine other than a slight clonk from the front suspension somwhere, its very reliable, will start even after sitting for a fortnight in the winter weather, pretty much everything works except the window squirters and the hazard lights (switch is broken)

The car isnt MOT'd and the sills will definatly need doing (panels are available still) it looks fairly clean underneath although the lower rear quarters and the rear valance need replacing as well. Its fine to use everyday, i have done loads of miles in it since i bought it and it easily copes with modern traffic, brakes are top notch, its an auto with power steering and drives really easily and it will cruise at 70mph no bother. the body work isnt as bad as the patches of primer make it look by the way, its generally pretty solid, parts are easy to get, MB still keep most spares in stock (headlight lens £16.50 available next day delivery) and if your localish to me in essex theres a merc scrappy in billericay.

Its not worth a fortune so im not expecting a super van, I would ideally like to swop if for a van that runs and drives even if it needs work for the MOT, something old would be great, but anything considered even if its not (shudders) a Transit.

Ignore the cab sign, put it on for that "cuban" feel.

popuptoaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: swop Transit for old mercedes?

Postby comet » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:36 pm

how is it tax free on an n reg.if merc had a bit off mot, i would swop no problem,that is sort of thing i would swop for anyday,
1971 LANDLINER - 2.5DI FITTED NEW BY FORDS IN 2000 - IF YOU WANT A COVER UP ASK THE POLICE THEY ARE THE BEST
comet
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby unclealec » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:56 pm

It's not when they are first registered, it's when they were built. So if factory data proves it to be a 1972 build, then free tax it gets. Like my 145 Volvo.
1997 Mk. 5 SWB 120 2.5di
Mk. I camper project
RM series Rileys
unclealec
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:54 pm

yes but it should be given an age related number
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:00 pm

Neil wrote:yes but it should be given an age related number

Not always. As this post proves. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=24421
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:46 pm

all that posts proves mr m is that some mk 5 had been sittin in a dealers compound a long time before it was registered ,,x y 51 or 52 plate the road tax is the same.. tax exempt is historic class and pre 72 and unless a private reg they normally issue age related number
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrMPuk » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:08 pm

Neil wrote:all that posts proves mr m is that some mk 5 had been sittin in a dealers compound a long time before it was registered ,,x y 51 or 52 plate the road tax is the same.. tax exempt is historic class and pre 72 and unless a private reg they normally issue age related number

Yeah so who is to say this wasn't registered late!
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:22 pm

thats true mr m but is tax exempt on vehicles registered before 1972 :?: and it should be blue :shock:
Neil v6
Neil
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby captain hook » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:44 pm

BUILT before 1st Jan 1973 for Tax Free status........
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby popuptoaster » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:15 am

It IS blue, its very pale blue and appears white in some pics, if you check the bonnet in the front on pic you can see its blue.

pics taken in the dark or the rain shows its colour better.

Its a '72, it spent two years in germany before being registered here, as its always been right hand drive i suspect it was bought by someone in the forces who knew they were coming home at some point, it's easy to prove the build date on mercs they keep all their old records and the car is registered as a historic vehicle and is entitled to have black and silver number plates on it etc etc. Its the pre face lift model (they changed in early 74) with opening quarter lights and the big chrome horn ring in the steering wheel and the smaller mirrors.

If me back ever recovers it will get an MOT as im pretty certain it just needs a bush or joint on the steering and i need to give the undernetah a good going over, but i have a welder so holes dont bother me really.

if you want a car to restore that still has all the parts available and is easily usable in modern traffic these are brilliant, it will top the ton, cruise comfortably at over 70mph although the wind noise picks up over that speed, has great brakes, fits 5 people easily and has a massive boot these are great, the tax is free, it costs me £62 to insure it and the mechanicals last forever which is why there were thousands of em turned into cabs in europe.

I wouldnt get rid if i could afford to buy a van as well, im only valueing the car at 350ish as it has no ticket, but i'll double that with a ticket on it, and they make over a grand with nice paint.

anyway, no hard feelings if no one is interested, just thought you lot might know someone with a spare van laying about and want a deal. :)
popuptoaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MrMPuk » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:03 am

Neil wrote:thats true mr m but is tax exempt on vehicles registered before 1972 :?: and it should be blue :shock:

No, built before 1972. As said above if you can prove it was built before that date then it is tax exempt.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Transits Wanted