*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

TRANSIT CUSTOM 2017 CAM BELT FAILURE

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: TRANSIT CUSTOM 2017 CAM BELT FAILURE

Postby My van hates me » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:52 pm

Jeremy24 wrote:Possible solutions to a cam belt failure?

We have a 2017 Custom 340 built Nov 2017, purchased 2nd hand, not Ford dealer serviced, now about 120K on the clock. A few days ago, started up with difficulty in the driveway, then after a couple of yards at about 1mph totally failed. RAC report states 'engine cranking fast no compression' and 'suspect timing has failed'.

New here, and read some great advice in other threads on this topic, but can anyone advise how likley it is that we need an engine replacement, or whether a (cheaper) repair should be possible? We'll need to get it towed - one tow free on the RAC - but if the first garage inspects but cannot repair, we'll need another expensive tow. So any recommendations for a garage in East or West Sussex (we're in Brighton) very welcome.

If a full engine replacement is necessary we'll need to seriously consider scrap and buy a new vehicle, since the value of this one is only about £10k.

When mine went I was lucky and it worked fine after replacing the cams and housing as well as vac pump and the usual timing related work. Obviously sump off and all the bits of belt cleaned out etc.
could work out costly as injectors need removing which on these vans can be interesting.
From the vans I’ve known to go, the ones that seized after vacuum failure all faired a little better than belt breakages…
My van hates me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jeremy24 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:39 pm

Thanks MVHM. Our van now booked in for next Tuesday, I'll report back on the work & cost.
Jeremy24

Postby My van hates me » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:11 pm

Jeremy24 wrote:Thanks MVHM. Our van now booked in for next Tuesday, I'll report back on the work & cost.

There were a few see you next Tuesdays with mine too :lol:
Best of luck mate
My van hates me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:28 pm

Geoff buys cars - The Ford Wet Belt Scandal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nog_0Oe7Z_M

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Previous

Return to Transit Custom