*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Ford Custom P0342 error

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Ford Custom P0342 error

Postby S0UTH » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:37 pm

Hey guys just posted and post didnt show must be posting delay or issue.
I got a 2020 custom, had it from new with now 78,000 on clock.
Yesterday it died quietly whilst on a journey, was running fine and then just power loss , no noises or bangs. Tried restarting and turns over like it wants to catch but just wont.
Got it towed home and did a fault code check with a P0342 error low circuit signal to cam sensor.
Replaced sensor and battery but still same error.
Any ideas anyone.
Thanks in advance.
S0UTH

Re: Ford Custom P0342 error

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:48 pm

This will be a a 2.0 ecoblue engine?

camshaft sensor faults can indicate failing wet belt

78,000 miles or there abouts, onwards is when they start to fail.

Could be something else ..but don't take chances with this engine

Check this out first, just in case:

The only checks that are possible without a major strip ..is take the oil filler cap off and shine a torch down there ..you are looking for a de-laminated belt. ..unfortunately you can only see the smooth side of the belt ..but if it is de-laminating ..then don't attempt any more start ups ..and its time for an immediate belt change. if you are lucky that is.

if it has partially gone --- some of the teeth will have come off the belt resulting in a change of timing, that has stopped it starting.

if its gone and damaged valves,then the engine will sometimes turn over very fast, sounding, faster than usual, and sound like an electic motor

Read up in forum about the wet belts .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby My van hates me » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:12 am

Unfortunately I think mark is spot on. This is exactly what mine did at roughly 80k but my brakes/vac pump went too.
Mine had new cams, either vac pump seizure slightly bent one side while throwing the timing or the belt slipped and the mistimed cam sheared the vac pump internally, one or the other. Not many mechanics will want to touch it and those who do won’t be cheap as it’s injectors out, cam housing off, timing cover off, BOTH wet belts changed, new oil feed for turbo or very thorough clean (recommend changing as the internal size and preformed shape is pathetic), roughly 20l of oil and 2 filters. It’s 1k roughly to (parts and labour) replace the belts on a working engine, I’d be surprised if that alone solved the issue and it’s an expensive gamble to find out.
All this should be done with firmly crossed fingers for no piston damage but I think this engines weakness could be it’s saviour as the parts guy at Ford basically listed the parts I’d need to fix it off the top of his head as if it wasn’t his first rodeo.
As mark says, check the belt visually but it’s actually the oil pick up and sump full of crap that’s the issue. Fully drain the oil and inspect it by all means, it WILL be contaminated if this is the issue or not at that mileage. Sump and timing cover want removing ideally.
When was the last oil change done?
Did the brakes go rock hard before it died?
Does it have up to date main stealer history?
My van hates me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby S0UTH » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:27 am

Thanks Guys for the info,
I will get the belt changed regardless, there is no dealer service although i have had it serviced by a reputable garage 3 times so 3 oil changes, also no hard brakes.
A bit of a coincidence is that the clutch was replaced a week ago, i though that it may be possible the the low current to sensor could have been related to the starter motor as the description of error also mentions this. I havent looked at this yet but i will do the belt anyway
S0UTH

Postby S0UTH » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:35 pm

Update
Took sump off and found belt teeth so now have to decide what to do, my guess is engine screwed now.
So Recap 2020 van 74,000 miles , 3 services not ford.
Correct oil used , guess I have to see what ford says.
Will have cam cover off tomorrow, fuming at the moment as this van has been well looked after and only carefully driven by myself.
When it broke down I called ford who said they could nt even look at it till mid may so not waiting and checked myself
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S0UTH

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:02 pm

That's not just bad news for you, it's bad for everyone owning one of these.
Only four years old and only 74,000 miles - SHEESH!

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby S0UTH » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:27 am

Is it proven that the DPF process dumps diesel back into the oil and is the a quantity
S0UTH

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:50 am

Diesel in the oil - There was a fault .. and not sure if it was on recall or on ford bulletins a couple of years ago ..and was corrected by a software upgrade.

many failed dpf regens caused Oil Dilution

All the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby S0UTH » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:34 pm

Officially toothless, so I guess still have to change belt to see if engine is screwed but does nt look good
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
S0UTH

Postby My van hates me » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:46 pm

Sorry to see this. Ford should be ashamed of themselves for sticking with this nonsense
My van hates me
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby FrankMCN » Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:58 pm

Hope your engine survives. I wouldn't go 20-25,000 miles between oil changes on any engine, even if it is mostly motorway driving, all that extended service guff from the manufacturers is just for the benefit of lease & fleet operators - for anyone who wants the engine to last beyond the warranty period you should consider 7,000 oil changes.
FrankMCN
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:16 pm

Bang on, Frank.

but looking at the clean-ness of his engine, the bight alloy bits, lack of any brown or black staining etc sort of says to me , it was looked after .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby S0UTH » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:53 pm

Hey Metal your bang on this has done 70,000 with 3 oil changes/services which is even more worrying , sent an email to fords uk customer services a week ago and still no reply, goes to show how big a problem even ford ran out of cambelts and none in stock till posted out from Germany. This van looks good and nice to drive until it breaks then that s it you can t trust it any further, if any one buys a custom i would advise them to actually change the belt every 40,000miles, reason being that in my case even an inspection would not have helped as it is done through the oil filler pipe if I'm not mistaken , and that will only show the top of the belt and if its laminating, mine has not laminated just lost teeth. THIS VAN is like player Russian roulette and can come anytime. I still can t believe FORD does not recognise this is still a major problem and whatever fixes have been done previously, well you can t really call something fixed when its not, FORD have gone back in time regarding cambelts , even the old pinto engine on the Cortina in the 70 s had a better rubber cam belt than this and to not admit it says it all.
MAYBE I SHOULD buy this domain
fordcambeltcon.com
and setup up a blog. maybe they would reply quicker
S0UTH

Postby metalworker0 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:25 pm

it may be that the oil dilution with diesel has kept it clean ..20- 25000 mile oil changes are too long, way too long.

bet someone out there is working on a chain conversion. wetbelt is bonkers.

www.fordwetdreams.com would be better :D

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby FrankMCN » Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:46 am

Agreed, seen the oil level in mine rise - presumably some failed DPF regen I knew nothing about...

Changing your oil frequently will get rid of any contaminants inc diesel.

Listened to the head of Nismo engine development give a talk on a similar subject - upshot of it was: if you really want to look after your engine then frequent changes at 3000 miles with a high quality filter, you don't have to use an expensive oil if your changing frequently. Going long with a 'high quality' oil will not protect your engine anywhere near as well but the filter is crucial, don't cheap out on the filter. So maybe get oil that is half the price as the expensive stuff and change twice as often...

And maybe install a LED to let you know when your van is doing a DPF regen so you can avoid shutting the engine down until its finished.
FrankMCN
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom