*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2017 Ford Transit vibration

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

2017 Ford Transit vibration

Postby andreaskorsnes » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:08 am

Hello. I have a 2017 Ford Transit van (MK8), 2.0L EcoBlue FWD. At speeds from 30 km/h (approximately 18.6 mp/h) up to about 90 km/h (approximately 55.9 mp/h), I have a vibration from the front of the car that I can't diagnose. It's worst at around 80 km/h (approximately 49.7 mp/h). Above 100 km/h (approximately 62.1 mp/h), it's almost gone. It feels like it worsens on uneven roads. It feels like a vibration originating from the front of the car but felt in the steering.

Both front wheel bearings have been replaced. Brand new tires, I checked the balancing myself and know it's good. New pads and discs. Can't feel any movement in any parts upfront, except for a tiny bit of play in the left tie rod end. Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong?
andreaskorsnes

Re: 2017 Ford Transit vibration

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:45 pm

See this post - link below ..he has a custom ..same engine same drive train ..so relevant to your post.

read and see what he has replaced with no joy

then read my answers for other alternatives

note: he has plus about 150,000 miles on it .

Note: some recon drive shafts are worse than your originals with crap Chinese CV joint, inboard joint ignored and rubbers and rattle can spray job

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=226946

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andreaskorsnes » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:23 pm

Thank you very much for your reply!

Thanks for the link. I forgot to mention that the vibration is completely independent of the engine speed, it only depends on the car's speed. No change with throttle input or turning. It's slightly more noticeable during high-speed braking. I changed the brake discs a year ago. It feels like some kind of oscillation, varying slightly in intensity. Extremely strange!

Do you think it could be from the drive shafts? Driving me nuts.
andreaskorsnes

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:46 pm

i could not tell you what it is ..watch the other guys posts he may come up with the answer

Brake discs ..if you regularly brake going down a steep hill steeper than say 1 in 6 for say half a mile or so ,, this will trash your discs in the summer or on hot day... so if you have done that ..don't rule it out .

Light braking, going slow ..if you can hear a swosh swosh equal to each revolution of the wheel ..then your disks are warped .

if the guy who put your discs on, never cleaned the rust off the mating surfaces of hub , then expect the disc to be out of true.

Especially on transits - they can be murder to separate from the hub ..the guy who fitted the discs could literally have used a sledge hammer to get the old ones off ..and ..what other damage or warppage , bending would / could that do ?

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andreaskorsnes » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:32 pm

Thank you again! I think I'll get the discs replaced, at least to rule this out. I'll report back if it helps.
andreaskorsnes

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits