*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Change Oil message explains?

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Change Oil message explains?

Postby workbox » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi,

Recently got message on dashboard Change oil soon. on 2018 late model ford transit.
Question is there sensor mesuring oil delution or it just interval reminder set by manufacturer.

Since the oil reminder has to be reset I gess it just interval reminder.
What is your thoughts on that?
Thanks
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Change Oil message explains?

Postby Frag » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:03 pm

It has oil quality sensor so yes it measures dilution,can be just age or failed regens,short distance stop/start work etc
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby workbox » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:08 am

Frag wrote:It has oil quality sensor so yes it measures dilution,can be just age or failed regens,short distance stop/start work etc

So if I change oil the sensor should sence quality oil and remove message from the dashboard?
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frag » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:39 pm

There’s still a reset procedure after you’ve changed the oil,
How it’s done depends if your van has had the Recall for oil dilution (which is a PCM and Cluster update) done.

If it hasn’t,it will be through the cluster menu,settings,vehicle,Maintenence,oil life reset or similar.

If you don’t have that option in the cluster,turn ignition on,hold brake and accelerator down,wait 30 seconds,release pedals.
Turn ignition off and do not turn it back on for 2/3 minutes at least.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby workbox » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:47 pm

Frag wrote:There’s still a reset procedure after you’ve changed the oil,
How it’s done depends if your van has had the Recall for oil dilution (which is a PCM and Cluster update) done.

If it hasn’t,it will be through the cluster menu,settings,vehicle,Maintenence,oil life reset or similar.

If you don’t have that option in the cluster,turn ignition on,hold brake and accelerator down,wait 30 seconds,release pedals.

Hence I have to reset so there is no sensor for oil quality?
Rather some interval or engine workload measures.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hughesyn » Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:56 pm

workbox wrote:

There is a sensor, but you still have to do a reset. :roll:
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby workbox » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:01 pm

hughesyn wrote:
workbox wrote:

There is a sensor, but you still have to do a reset. :roll:

So how is that someone reset oil change message without changing oil and it works for another 10k+
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby KevofCov » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:53 pm

Hmmm I think we need an adult to sum up this oil dilution/sensor witchcraft as mentioned here before is this thread
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=202142
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby workbox » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:04 pm

KevofCov wrote:Hmmm I think we need an adult to sum up this oil dilution/sensor witchcraft as mentioned here before is this thread
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=202142

Thanks.
After bit of research seems there is no any oil sensor instead there is sensor for engine work load with algorithm depending how heavy engine usage will automatically calculate interval of oil change.
Hence some getting at 6k some 10k I got my first message at 20k despite changing oil twice already. : )
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Frag » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:54 pm

They have a oil level and temp sensor,the pcm uses this to measure how quickly the oil warms up and calculate oil quality,along with all the other information regarding engine use.
It may also trigger the message on mileage and or time.
So early panthers 2 yr / 36k,or before if the pcm sees oil dilution.

There have been multiple PCM updates since launch of the panther to correct the way this system works regarding oil change messages.
If your van hasn’t been near a dealer it may still have the FSA outstanding which updates pcm to latest level.
If it has been done,there should NOT be an option to reset it thru cluster..
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby workbox » Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:42 pm

Frag wrote:They have a oil level and temp sensor,the pcm uses this to measure how quickly the oil warms up and calculate oil quality,along with all the other information regarding engine use.
It may also trigger the message on mileage and or time.
So early panthers 2 yr / 36k,or before if the pcm sees oil dilution.

There have been multiple PCM updates since launch of the panther to correct the way this system works regarding oil change messages.
If your van hasn’t been near a dealer it may still have the FSA outstanding which updates pcm to latest level.
If it has been done,there should NOT be an option to reset it thru cluster..

If they do have oil sensor it probably used as secondary mechanism.
I have change oil few weeks ago and message come up regardless of oil quality.

I have visited ford and they have video there exactly explaining how oil change calculates see Link below.
And they actually never mention about oil quality sensors.

https://owner.ford.com/support/how-tos/ ... itor.html#
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Moparman64 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:09 pm

I have a 2022 Ford Transit Custom Campervan which I purchased brand new. For various reasons, I have only done 3306 miles in the vehicle (at 14th March 2024), and I am already getting the "Change Oil Soon" warning despite the fact that the vehicle is not due its first service until late June 2024? I appreciate that I've only been doing short journeys in the vehicle, but surely the oil cannot have diluted already to the point it needs changing at only 3306 miles.... can it?? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. The service is expensive enough as it is, I don't particularly want to have to bring it forward and do it earlier when the vehicle has such low mileage on it?
Moparman64

Postby Frag » Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:24 pm

Likely it’s been triggered based on time,
A lot of camper conversions are based on a vehicle,built much earlier,taking a year or more to convert / register or be sold…..
So the oil monitor may not have been reset at PDI

Be aware tho,you need to have it serviced no more than 1 month or a 1000 miles of its interval,or you will invalidate any warranty relating to base engine / oil related concerns..

Also,
If you scroll through cluster,certain age / spec vans will tell you the oil life left in days & miles.
Same if you have Ford pass/connect app,it will be shown there also.
Frag
Ford Technician

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits