*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.0 ecoblue injector fitting

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

2.0 ecoblue injector fitting

Postby theoTD » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:31 pm

Hello all,

So I'm having trouble fitting injectors on a new (to me) engine. So i'm replacing a 2.0 ecoblue (YMR6) with a newer 2.0 ecoblue in my 2017 van and was hoping as they dont seem to have any issues, use the injectors that was in the old engine.

Ive taken them out of course, easier than I thought it would be, and have tried getting them in the new one. I don't know if I'm being stupid, or have missed some step but they do not want to seat the full way in. They get about half way and come up against pretty solid resistance. I've tried greasing them up alot, twisting etc.

This made me think that perhaps there was some kind of mistake/oversight that this newer engine would need a slightly different model of injector. I checked part numbers best I could and they are all cross compatible as far as I can tell, the only one ive not checked is the cylinder head because it looks like the part number is buried in under the timing cover but doing a bit of googling it seems they are pretty compatible throughout the various ecoblue engines too.

Anyway hopefully its something obvious and simple im just not doing.
Any thoughts/help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Theo
theoTD
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2.0 ecoblue injector fitting

Postby MWH » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:15 pm

Are the bores the injectors sit in clean? If they have corrosion it might be enough to stop them sliding in.
MWH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby theoTD » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:07 am

thats an idea yes, i'll double check that.

But was taking a brief look again and it seems like the copper washer was getting some fairly even marring and scoring of the surface where ive tried to twist it in which would suggest the bore is somehow to shallow more than just possible corrosion.

I've gotten a bit frustrated with it tbh so I will reset, clean everything to be sure its not corrosion or carbon and try again. I'm just a bit wary of forcing them and causing damage could really do without having to replace otherwise functioning injectors.
theoTD
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MWH » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:18 pm

I changed my injectors recently on 66 plate ynr6 and seem to recall the bore narrowed at the bottom. I had to clean it all out thoroughly including the where the copper washer sat at the bottom or the injector wouldn't drop in. I'm assuming all the old copper seals are out, not stuck at the bottom.
MWH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby theoTD » Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:31 pm

I'll be taking a look later today, unfortunately haven't had much of a chance recently.

I'll give the bores a good clean, it must just that be seen as you had similar experience.

Thanks for the help! Any tips on cleaning out the bores? Manual says brake cleaner and nothing harsh on the injectors so I'm assuming same goes for the bores although I suspect I might be being to cautious with all this.
theoTD
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby MWH » Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:32 pm

Can't really clean the tips of the injectors as to small and delicate. The shaft I just used scotchbrite and brake cleaner, I laid the injector on a towel while I did it. The actual bore I used a claw tool that you use for picking up dropped stuff. I clamped it on to enough scotchbrite so it was a tight fit and went to work with it, also it cleaned most of the injector seat.

I got some special injector fitting grease so hopefully if they need to come out again they will!!
MWH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MWH » Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:54 pm

Any progress?
MWH
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby theoTD » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:30 pm

Sorry for not getting back to you! Ended up being busy and away from the van for awhile.

Before i left though i had someone who has a fair bit more experience with engines than me take a look. Defiently came to the conclusion that the bore for the injector isnt the same. So when im back im going to be taking a look at the cylinder head to check its part number against the old engine and see whats going on if i can. I believe it involves taking of the timing cover as it looks like according to pictures online thats where the part number is stamped, bit annoying.

Hopefully i'll get to the bottom of it that way as unfortunatly my googling hasnt resulted in any other answers. Made me wonder whether the bores needed resizing or something. Hopefully i'll know end of month.

Edit: missed out details for context.
theoTD
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby theoTD » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:16 pm

Well finally got round to taking the cylinder head off. In every injector port/bore there is the "sleeve" from the bottom half of an injector still there complete with copper washer. It was alot easirr to see inside under light and from the inside face.

If anyone knows about removing this without damaging the head advice would be appreciated!
I suspect I might have to take it too a engine machinist.
I am hoping that the company I bought it from will be helpful despite it being several months since purchase.
theoTD
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:39 pm

Well i thought that was the point of taking the head off ..so you can beat on what's left of the injector from the other side.

pictures may help us understand what you have left

think you need something similar to this
https://www.carmodsaustralia.com.au/ass ... 0905131545

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby theoTD » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:35 pm

Yeah that was the hope. There isnt really anything to beat on, and the port is only the size of the injector tip so there isnt much thats fitting in there to get a grip on whats left stuck in. I reckon it needs to be pulled from the top somehow? Perhaps one of those tools that expand into it to grip. This is a bit beyond what I was prepared to do (obviously) hoping for a relatively straightforward complete engine swap.

Screenshot_20240425-152043~2.png

This is what i reckon is stuck in there still. So the tip of the injector isnt there and seems to have been removed at the point of the copper washer. But it looks to me that roughly that portion thats coloured black is still in there, and i can see a glint of copper at the bottom.

PXL_20231205_151217849.jpg
PXL_20231205_151146377.jpg

Apologies these pictures are not fantastic but you can roughly see what I'm talking about I think. You can see a definite "lip" there, and while the photo doesnt get the detail its quite rough edges. Probably been twisted till sheared and not properly checked before being assembled and shipped.

Thanks,
Theo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
theoTD
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby metalworker0 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:33 pm

well what you do now is .
drill it and tap it... and attach a slide hammer to it

i cant tell what size tap you are going to need .that's up to you to decide..
You need a tap to go in and not contact the bore that its in ..so something like 2mm less than the diameter the hole, should be the extent of the threads.

There are rules for taps on what size drill you use ..for instance if you use an 8mm tap, the drill will be 6.8mm... you can get these drills from engineers supplies and on ebay ,..but don't buy the cheapest you can find

NOTE : Don't try using a 6mm drill bit or a 7mm drill bit, you will fail

tapping drill size chart

https://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-metric.htm

You need a slide hammer ..you can make one out of threaded rod, a nut and a weight to slide up and down it.
will sort of look like this but with threaded rod all the way

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402796011165?

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby theoTD » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:48 pm

Ah now why did I not think of that. Those links are very helpful. I shall look into it, a learning opportunity for sure. And yeah, good quality drill bits save much time and swearing.

Thanks for the help I shall update on my eventual success!
theoTD
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits