*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

SteveDSD's SWB Smiley dayvan/camper

Post here camper and camper conversion related stuff!

Moderator: Luke

SteveDSD's SWB Smiley dayvan/camper

Postby SteveDSD » Sat May 02, 2009 12:11 am

This is the first bit of the conversion that the original owner did. Pretty basic. Van already had factory split charging and leisure battery to run all the goodies in the back. Lots of pics, let me know if it's a problem and I'll make 'em a bit smaller for all you on slower connections.

Then the second edition was done by the owner before me, he was a Radio HAM, he removed all the HAM stuff before I bought the van in 2007. I drove the very well looked after van back up t' North from down London way.

Then there's me, using the van for camping and going to work and back, it was a little cold at night and so I started to do some work insulating and rewiring the back and fitting new toys, I took some pics of the work and then the camera got destroyed, bugger. Will post some pics of the finished version of my van over the next few days once the rain stops me from taking them. I replaced the yellow front indicators and got rid of the nasty red ford logos from the doors.

Last edited by SteveDSD on Sat May 02, 2009 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 SWB 100-Campervan/Dayvan/Moneypit
Image See the van at http://www.fordtransit.org/forum/viewto ... 58&t=44950 Image
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: SteveDSD's SWB Smiley dayvan/camper

Postby bigmastif » Sat May 02, 2009 1:18 am

now thats proper looking love the set up proper home from home
hows the old on digi box working is it just free view stuff :? :?:
bigmastif
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sc_BK » Sat May 02, 2009 1:37 am

Exact same digibox as I have here by my pc, bit bulky, does all the normal freeview channels, my mate dumped it when ITV digi went bust, thinking it was useless :lol:
sc_BK
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby mav bryant » Sat May 02, 2009 8:42 am

SteveDSD wrote:This is the first bit of the conversion that the original owner did. Pretty basic. Van already had factory split charging and leisure battery to run all the goodies in the back. Lots of pics, let me know if it's a problem and I'll make 'em a bit smaller for all you on slower connections.

Then the second edition was done by the owner before me, he was a Radio HAM, he removed all the HAM stuff before I bought the van in 2007. I drove the very well looked after van back up t' North from down London way.

Then there's me, using the van for camping and going to work and back, it was a little cold at night and so I started to do some work insulating and rewiring the back and fitting new toys, I took some pics of the work and then the camera got destroyed, bugger. Will post some pics of the finished version of my van over the next few days once the rain stops me from taking them.
nice looking van, i just sold my camper and bought a 02 transit jumbo to convert,i best get some pictures taken and put them on here.........mav
mav bryant

Postby SteveDSD » Sat May 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Well the on-digital box got removed with all the other 240v stuff. 99% of stuff now runs off the 12v directly (with adaptors and regulators), just saves having to have the noisy inverter running when I don't have hookup, when I'm on hookup the charger/load manager pumps out enough to run everything without touching the batteries. The on-digi box is now at my mums house so she'll be ok when the digi switchover comes in around November here :D

Well, here are some pics of the 3rd version of the van, with low power computer, 3G wireless broadband, GPS, iPod connectors, front seat touchscreen for sat-nav and media player, scart-freeview box, Eberspacher heater, sub-woofer and kitchen roll hehehehe Oh, and the curtains have been replaced by some insulated pop-on/pop-off screens for the windows as the curtains didn't quite block all the view into the van - eeek.

Image See the van at http://www.fordtransit.org/forum/viewto ... 58&t=44950 Image
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AlanN » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Ive just found your thread, enjoyed reading it, like what you've done with the interior :wink:
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby SteveDSD » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:26 pm

AlanN wrote:Ive just found your thread, enjoyed reading it, like what you've done with the interior :wink:

Cheers, it does me :) Feeling like a change though, maybe I'll take it all out and start again. :shock:
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sc_BK » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:54 pm

I had completely forgotten about this thread :lol:

Steve, have you still got the same digibox? Cos it won't work in areas that have been through the digital switchover :(
sc_BK
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby AlanN » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:13 pm

SteveDSD wrote:
AlanN wrote:Ive just found your thread, enjoyed reading it, like what you've done with the interior :wink:

Cheers, it does me :) Feeling like a change though, maybe I'll take it all out and start again. :shock:

Yes Im planning a new interior too, but Ive got a load to get out of the way first. got a LCD TV too now, but I can't find anywhere to put it :roll: so another reason to rebuild.
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby SteveDSD » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:15 pm

AlanN wrote:Yes Im planning a new interior too, but Ive got a load to get out of the way first. got a LCD TV too now, but I can't find anywhere to put it :roll: so another reason to rebuild.

Oh, yeah, I know how that is, always some bit of kit to fit in. Looks like you really make a smart job of things, I love the look of your van.
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby SteveDSD » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:26 pm

sc_BK wrote:Steve, have you still got the same digibox? Cos it won't work in areas that have been through the digital switchover :(

That old digibox went a while ago, got destroyed by a power spike at my mums house. Typical, it was the one extension lead that I hadn't managed to replace with a surge protector.
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby transitandy » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:01 pm

I like what you have done m8y :) 8) 8)
TRANSIT M8, SAY NO MORE YOUR IN...... FORD THROUGH TO THE BONE......
transitandy
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby SteveDSD » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:32 am

transitandy wrote:I like what you have done m8y :) 8) 8)

Cheers, although I have had to start again, found some rather bad water leaks from the wheel arches that had rotted the wood, for some reason there were holes with rivets in them, but some holes without hiding behind the panels.

There was a sheet of inch and a half ply on top of the 3/4 ply that was already on the floor, no wonder I kept hitting my head on the roof, so that's out, saving a lot of weight. Also found some pretty scary wiring practices from previous owners. So it was take everything out and start again time.

I'm compiling some pictures of the new build, so hopefully it'll be as good as the other guys had done. I'm taking some time and putting in all the fixes for things I did wrong and simplifying as much as I can.

Also been quite an expensive time, had to replace the rear springs as one of the leafs had broken and dropped off, and now it's time for a couple of new tires too.
SteveDSD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby northernlad » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:18 pm

Top notch lining job Steve !!
northernlad
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby quadfather » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:05 am

very nice 8) you know in your last pic where you have the switch's, fuse's ect where did you get them from?
FIESTA VAN 1.4TDCI
FRONT FOGS
JVC CD PLAYER
LED MIRROR LIGHTS
HYPER WHITE SIDE LIGHTS
AERO WIPER BLADES
TOW HOOK
DRUM TO DISC REAR BRAKE CONVERSION
INTERCOOLER

Reality is a nice place, but I wouldn't want to live there.
quadfather
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Camper vans and conversions