*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Acceleration Issue From Stop / Intermittent.

Use this section to post all specific Transit Connect topics and questions

Acceleration Issue From Stop / Intermittent.

Postby Hypocycloid3 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:24 pm

Suggestions needed for a very specific but intermittent acceleration issue. - Only when vehicle has been in use for a while and - only when starting again from several minutes at idle my 2017 Transit Connect 2.5L will start to go but only a few feet then not respond to any amount of 'gas' on pedal.

Engine does not die but chugs at a very rough idle. If I turn it off and wait a few seconds then crank it back up it will respond normally again..at first, then same hassle following of the next several minutes at idle - intermittently.

Hard to track down and fix something that wont always fail but can definitely say I never loose power once running at city speeds or on the highway this happens ONLY from a stop and ONLY after driving for a while. Keep getting stuck in the middle of busy intersections on green lights, so need to find a solution on this.

No codes when diagnosed & 2 shops have been unable to reproduce on test drives. Sometimes it will go for days or weeks without doing this but problem persists intermittently enough to be a hazzard and big annoyance. I have changed the Air Filter, MAF, electrical pedal, and relay that the fuel pump is suppose to be related to, don't want to continue just throwing parts at it since the high cost fuel pump job is likely one of the next things to try. Any ideas or known fixes for this kind of acceleration symptom?
Hypocycloid3

Re: Acceleration Issue From Stop / Intermittent.

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:39 pm

Well there aren't many people here that are going to know about that engine , believe its has some system on it called "Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Cutoff" ..that's the first item i would look at...what ever makes that happen ..bet its some sort of accelerometer device ... sorry i cant be more helpful.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby LostinTransit » Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:53 pm

Check, clean or replace the EGR valve
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hypocycloid3 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:35 pm

Thanks LIT, for the Catalytic Converter suggestion (other forum), seems like a good thing to check that I have not thought of... although, if welded inline to the exhaust, I am not sure how really to check that so will mention that when I take it to another shop for codes. My symptom that I labeled as 'shuddering' must be WAY different from what the dealer calls normal since it's not like it just shakes while accelerating weakly or anything like that. - when this intermittently happens it wont accelerate at all. Just sits there weirdly chugging or misfiring with zero power until I shut the engine off, wait a few seconds and start it back up. Then can drive again until some other long red light in my future. Wish I could reproduce it on demand - would take it straight to a code reader or a dealer. Anyway, mileage is getting close to 100k but not quite there yet. Keep trying to find time to at least pull that EGR valve to take a look there but life keeps getting in the way. Will try again this week.
Hypocycloid3

Postby LostinTransit » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:58 am

Seems to me that you're going to have to replace more than you bargained for.. sparkplugs, coil packs, fuel system, fuel rail, fuel filter (located in the tank) maybe even the fuel lines. clean intake, clean mass air flow sensor or replace it.. spray a bit of the mass air flow cleaner/throttle body cleaner into the intake flap, clean the intake tube, check air filter. We've been having to deal with the same thing.. but not as severe as you. This may ago mean having the trans serviced. Looks as if this was/is the main reason the van was traded etc. To bad it wasn't part of a government transport system as it would have been taken care of better. Plus it could be something simple,, disconnect the battery and clean the terminals. You should be able to access the Positive cable, but the negative, you'll need to have a 13mm deep sock to remove the ground from the sidewall engine bay. In fact picked up the 13mm this past weekend for our reset this coming weekend, having to replace the parking blubs on the van.
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Hypocycloid3 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:20 pm

got your PM and tried to reply but says that you have Private Message Receipt disabled.
Hypocycloid3

Postby LostinTransit » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:06 pm

IMPORTANT UPDATE

just found out why and what is causing this shuttering or lack of acceleration during take off after coming to a slow/moving stop.. Has nothing to do with any sort of aggressive driving crap.. it has everything to do with the Breather hose coming off the rear of the valve cover and heads down to the intake accordion.. the issue here is that according to sites which have done testing on other cars with this same breather hose are getting oil run off off into the hose which drains down into the throttle body. Once the flapper gets oil/gunk on it, it become sticky and sometime can get stuck open or closed during acceleration.

A couple of things need to be done at this point:

1) Remove and clean the throttle body with a throttle body cleaner and a soft tooth brush etc.
2) Remove the exhaust manifold and media blast the ports and valves
3) Remove and replace the breather Vent Hose - (CV6Z-6A664-A) as the built up oil gunk inside the hose is clogging the system and not allowing it to function property.
3) Install a "catch can" or "air/oil separator" that will collect this oil gunk run off in the can which then can be removed and drained.

In several North America states, adding a catch can is illegal so I'm not sure if you blokes in UK can add something like this to your cars. However I just located a site which goes into a very long list of company's who have been CARB compliant and offer aftermarket parts for juts this type of appreciation.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/applications/aft ... s-database

Good luck with your search and POWER ON Performance Connect owners!
LostinTransit
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dazzonamission » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:51 pm

This is exactly the reason i joined this group, knowledge is power and sharing is caring, our vans which all come with different engines and specifications are all linked by the determination to succeed and overcome such issues.

Great Post and Update :D
Dazzonamission

Return to Transit Connect