*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 FWD drive shaft trouble

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 FWD drive shaft trouble

Postby Johnno » Thu May 16, 2024 5:35 am

Okay so my mk7 started doing that thing in 5th that feels like a cog slipping or whatever that the general consensus said was the drive shaft.

I demonstrated the issue with a machanic, they looked at it and confirmed that the RH drive shaft was shagged. I had both replaced.

This was a just 2 or 3 tops months ago. Today, it started doing that thing again. Only in 5th gear. I went back and I am to have it in there next Wednesday.

Now, right from when it was done, there was a funny shimmy sort of deal at low speed in 2nd gear seemingly coming from the left side front. Brisk acceleration it wouldn't do it. I was NOT there prior to the new drive shafts. On my life it was not.
I took it back and pointed this out, took this clown for a dirve and demonstrated it. Oh it's prolly the clutch, okay why at only low speed and more so turning to the left? Here, I'll floor it in 4th and 25 mph up hill.. Clutch slipping? NO. Oh it's the engine mounts.. Replaced those, still there.

I am pretty angry right now. They also remapped it and deleted the EGR. I love the ewconomy it gets now but they tuned it to MAX output which isn't what I asked for, I said: just take up to where the ranger engine is, I was hoping to it would cure the massive lag it has but that is I now know in the pedal and the drive by wire.

I am concerned about my 12 year old 220,000 klm clutch so I dirve it carefully. It's a bloody shed on wheels, why would I drive it any other way?

Any clues?
Johnno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk7 FWD drive shaft trouble

Postby andz327 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:30 pm

Could be one of the new driveshafts, I fitted new right hand shaft from euro car parts and it only lasted about 10,000 miles so got it changed under warranty but the problem started in just a few thousand miles but decided to let it get worse to make sure that was the prob

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Fri May 17, 2024 2:45 am

They sound like a bunch of retarded cowboys, they’ll fix the problem with a parts cannon
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Johnno » Fri May 17, 2024 8:32 am

It's hard to find reliable mechanical help these days.
Johnno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Fri May 17, 2024 9:58 am

Johnno wrote:It's hard to find reliable mechanical help these days.

There are some around...but few and far between. I don't trust anyone...so I do all my own repairs at home.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Johnno » Fri May 17, 2024 11:33 pm

knobby1 wrote:

There are some around...but few and far between. I don't trust anyone...so I do all my own repairs at home.

Lord Knobrot

I always did but because I couldn't afford to do otherwise. I'm 61 now and next Thursday I am in for my first total knee replacement, the other one will be done as soon as I can get it.
Johnno
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby andz327 » Sun May 19, 2024 12:29 am

Shimmy at low speed can be a driveshaft but usually it's a tyre problem (out of shape tyre) just jack up a wheel at a time (check all wheels) and spin the wheel and look across the tread for a wobble......
I'm 60 in a couple of months wae a fooked back and knee (amongst other probs)and still roll about under them in pissin wet and snow (I'm in Glasgow lol) just get under it and get it done

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:50 pm

Johnno wrote:
knobby1 wrote:

Lord Knobrot

I always did but because I couldn't afford to do otherwise. I'm 61 now and next Thursday I am in for my first total knee replacement, the other one will be done as soon as I can get it.

61..!!?? Pfffttt...I've got hemorrhoids that have celabrated more birthdays :mrgreen: ....I'll be 63 in a few weeks..

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sun May 19, 2024 11:59 pm

knobby1 wrote:
Johnno wrote:
knobby1 wrote:[quote="Johnno"]It's hard to find reliable mechanical help these days.

Lord Knobrot

61..!!?? Pfffttt...I've got hemorrhoids that have celabrated more birthdays :mrgreen: ....I'll be 63 in a few weeks..

Lord Knobrot[/quote]You auld bastardo 63 that's auld sir but yae don't experience working under a .....transit at -5 and beyond ....bits get very auld very quick and am no talking vehicle bits either sir

andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits