*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk7 2.2 TDCI FWD Hot Start Issue

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Mk7 2.2 TDCI FWD Hot Start Issue

Postby ant_harvey » Sat Aug 26, 2023 11:07 am

Hi - I have searched the forum before posting this BTW and there are similar but I cant see the same issue.
So my Mk7 2.2 transit is having a hot start issue. It starts fine when cold. When warm (centre on gauge) it takes quite a lot of cranking. The starter turns the engine over for a few seconds then cuts out. After about five or six attempts it starts and needs a bit of throttle to bring it to life. It may/not be related but the engine also hunts a little bit, nothing drastic - just not a totally steady tickover. No other issues with it. I havent had it run through diagnostics (as I dont have a reader). The rear of the two batteries was recently replaced as it was dying. The front battery is possibly original (2010) but seems fine to me - it always starts and never has needed jumping.
I have a few questions
- is it worth paying for a diagnostic or is there a decent but cheap reader I could buy?
- Im based in Glastonbury, Somerset - new to the area, is there a good transit person around to take a look?
- Would your first stop be replacing the crank sensor and is it relatively straight forward (Im reasonably handy)
Any other advice would be very welcome. Thanks
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk7 2.2 TDCI FWD Hot Start Issue

Postby TheCake » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:06 pm

could be injectors need re-seating, will also be worth looking at scv prv (if between 2006-2011 as later model transits change to a push pump rather than suction)

injectors are fairly easy to sort and cheap enough just need some seat cutters and new seals

a modified elm-327 reader is what youll want iirc they are about £20 from tunnelrat you should find more info about it on the site, for software if you have a windows laptop forscan is a free program for diagnostics and programming
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ant_harvey » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:52 pm

Many thanks - scanner is on order, I will keep this post going and update with results.
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ant_harvey » Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:17 pm

I have used my new scanner and run the DTC - it showed no errors in PCM, OBDII, ABS, BCMii but was unable to read IPC and ACM (I think you need the engine running for those).
The log from the Vehicle Information is a bit weird, it finds all the modules (green ticks) but throws up Unable to Read DTC for everything.
In the Vehicle Tests section, in the log there are codes B1090:16 and B1D16:29 - I dont think these are anything to do with any engine related issues.
I will clear it all down and try again tomorrow as I was learning as I went today.
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby ant_harvey » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:33 pm

Ran all the tests and the van is not throwing up any codes - which is good and bad. I will try and find a mechanic to do the injector seats as I would worry about cocking it up.
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby TheCake » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:40 pm

the seats are easy enough to do just need the correct cutter and a little grease to pick up swarf then clean the seats before installing new seals, i did mine myself for the first time last year.
is that rust spot new?

2010 mk7 t260 85 p.o.s. FWD, SWB
TheCake
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ant_harvey » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:33 pm

Solution: Its all fixed and running normally; turns out it was fairly simple - a new starter (£50 from ebay) and replacement battery (£100). Its been running perfectly now for a couple of months so safe to say its sorted. Thanks for advice and support.
ant_harvey
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits