*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

MK7 SECURITY ISSUE, BREAKINS

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

MK7 SECURITY ISSUE, BREAKINS

Postby chickenface14 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Hello all I work for a London local authority, they have probably around a hundred MK7s there has been a spate of breakins, as far as I know around eight have been done, six all on one job all the tools were stolen. The police have been involved and apparently what the low life's are doing is walking past taking a picture of the vin number off your dash then going round the corner and programming a gizmo that unlocks the van, the vans have deadbolts that are crap and they just levered the side doors open. Now I can't be certain that this is how they are getting in but it seems very possible as there was no damage apart from where they levered the door a bit. My advice to everyone is to cover your vin number just to be safe. They obviously can't drive they vans off as the key would need to be cut to fit the ignition. Apparently they are also doing this on fiestas and mondeos. I hope by me posting this it might stop some of you losing out to this group of scum.
51 plate,T330,125ps 2.4 rwd , swb, low roof, medium steel blue, air con, e/w e/m,
chickenface14
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: MK7 SECURITY ISSUE, BREAKINS

Postby ake » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:51 pm

They use a tibbe bump key to open the drivers door lock, there's no need for any electronic fancyness
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Punto443 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:53 pm

There using a "tibbe pick" to open the vans, they can be bought on Amazon for £25.

Nothing to do with the vin no.s I'm afraid. Well known problem, I'd recommend replacing the drivers door lock with a high security one.
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby Punto443 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:55 pm

Covering the vin will also be useless as that info is readily avalible by entering the reg no. Into the ford Etis website, and you can't really cover the no. Plate up :?
Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel

2018 Renault trafic
my old mk7
my old mk6
my xr3i
Punto443
Site Moderator

Postby chickenface14 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:03 pm

I've just had a look at that lock pick on YouTube, that's ridiculous isn't it, they would've had to be a lot quicker than that though, the blokes said they must've done the six vans in minutes, unless they had a team. I dunno. They're having a right flap now and getting all the deadbolts sorted out
51 plate,T330,125ps 2.4 rwd , swb, low roof, medium steel blue, air con, e/w e/m,
chickenface14
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Wadey » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:15 pm

Ain't they better off having the door locks changed for high security ones less ass ache than putting dead bolts on
just follow the onscreen instructions and it's fairly idiot proof...trouble is, we keep producing better idiots
Wadey
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby chickenface14 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:31 pm

That is a better idea. Easier for us than having to put the bead bolts on everytime. It's unbelievable how poor the security is on these vans
chickenface14
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:41 pm

chickenface14 wrote:It's unbelievable how poor the security is on these vans

There's not much wrong with the lock, it is, after all, a mass produced item fitted to thousands of vehicles, and they're much more secure than the locks on older vehicles. Any lock can be picked by a professional.

The problem is caused by unscrupulous sellers openly selling the tools to override the locking system
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Dan T » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:16 pm

Like Altransit says, the problem is people selling tools to the general public that shouldn't be available to them.
Even when we consider the mass availability of IDS and its low cost, people forget that this tool also makes theft easier.
The tibbe key was an easy pick job for most who put their mind to it. Fords PATS system is good, but the ease at which you can get equipment to programme the PATS system makes all of these vans at risk.
The newer system with Ford means that all security and programming items are done through an Etis subscription, not DIY friendly for those who want to tinker, but better security wise.
As security improves, criminals will diversify... They'll steal the keys...
I agree that diagnostic platforms should be easily accessible to all, but think that security functions etc should be locked down to limit who can access and use such functions. It won't stop it getting in the wrong hands altogether, but it should significantly reduce it.
Just my opinion
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ned » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:26 pm

You would think local authorities wouldn't leave tools in vans but then its not them paying to replace everything its our tax money that does, years ago I worked for a haulage firm and we had to park all the vans and truck so close you could only access the drivers door, still didn't stop all the radios being nicked though. N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby PLEDGEY » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 pm

This is how they get in with the Tibbe. Door opened in 10 seconds!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY6WpEO-JTk
and this is what you should use to stop them getting in with the Tibbe. The Hykee replacement door barrel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVSXJvmuf3E
PLEDGEY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby scotty dog » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:01 pm

Heard from an auto guy a change in the law coming later this year allows Ford to keep all its software inhouse,at present they must share with other companies some common market crap
scotty dog
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby chickenface14 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:01 pm

I think we've solved our problem, as they're not our own transits no one wants to spend the money on them so we've come up we've come up with a much cheaper alternative than replacing the lock. It involves getting a very much free twig that's the same size as the drivers key hole and jamming it in there then snapping it off! Should stop the oportunist lock pickers.only problem I can see is flat battery's but can always open the bonnet and liven it up or spend some time getting the twig out if we're really stuck
chickenface14
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby PLEDGEY » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:45 pm

chickenface14 wrote:I think we've solved our problem, as they're not our own transits no one wants to spend the money on them so we've come up we've come up with a much cheaper alternative than replacing the lock. It involves getting a very much free twig that's the same size as the drivers key hole and jamming it in there then snapping it off! Should stop the oportunist lock pickers.only problem I can see is flat battery's but can always open the bonnet and liven it up or spend some time getting the twig out if we're really stuck

That is actually a good idea if it's not your van :-)
PLEDGEY
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Olliemax » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:53 am

I did not know that it was as easy as it is to get into a transit
I went to ikea in wendesbury to pick up some kids furniture I was in there 30 mins and came out to find my van pushed far ward and all my tools took nearly finished me
No damage whatsoever to locks of doors
Olliemax
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Next

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits