*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Trip across france, spain, italy and....

Transit Mk6 & Mk7 Forum. All Transits 2000 - 2013

Re: Trip across france, spain, italy and....

Postby the dutch guy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:09 pm

I am not in france anymore, this is just across the italian border at 1700m:

https://i.imgur.com/RbM825Q.jpg

And yes, that white bit is the 220v input for the inverter/charger. Tonight i fixed the "fan by aux battery" option so now i have a switch on the dash that can bypass the regular stuff so i can power the heater fan from the aux battery. This means nice fresh air during the night without getting bitey bugs in the van while sleeping. It does use a LOT of power. 4.7A on low, 8.3 on med and 12.6A on high.
Last edited by the dutch guy on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:12 pm

Good show dutchie....hope you guy's enjoy yourselves. 8)
No Squire, not just any van....it has to be a Mk7 (VM.1) :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby ned » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:34 pm

My defence was more based on a technology point of view :wink: The common rail system was first introduced in 2002 and like all technology it evolves into something quite spectacular, think of the early pc's un reliable, crashed a lot ect and what they are now, yes the denso and the semans common rail is miles better and more advanced but without the problems with the early systems Delphi and other brands would they be as good :?: In theory the Delphi system wasn't bad but it was un tested (so to speak) new technology, even the Delphi system evolved from what is in my van to the later mk6's (still problematic) but had some differences, denso obviously saw the issues and made changes such as PRV, pump & injector calibrations ect to eliminate the problems and no doubt the semans system has done the same :D N
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby knobby1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:53 pm

nedforceone wrote:My defence was more based on a technology point of view :wink: The common rail system was first introduced in 2002 and like all technology it evolves into something quite spectacular, think of the early pc's un reliable, crashed a lot ect and what they are now, yes the denso and the semans common rail is miles better and more advanced but without the problems with the early systems Delphi and other brands would they be as good :?: In theory the Delphi system wasn't bad but it was un tested (so to speak) new technology, even the Delphi system evolved from what is in my van to the later mk6's (still problematic) but had some differences, denso obviously saw the issues and made changes such as PRV, pump & injector calibrations ect to eliminate the problems and no doubt the semans system has done the same :D N

Are you not well Ned.. :?: :?: :wink:

That's the first paragraph where you've spoken some sense..! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby ned » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:07 pm

knobby1 wrote:
nedforceone wrote:My defence was more based on a technology point of view :wink: The common rail system was first introduced in 2002 and like all technology it evolves into something quite spectacular, think of the early pc's un reliable, crashed a lot ect and what they are now, yes the denso and the semans common rail is miles better and more advanced but without the problems with the early systems Delphi and other brands would they be as good :?: In theory the Delphi system wasn't bad but it was un tested (so to speak) new technology, even the Delphi system evolved from what is in my van to the later mk6's (still problematic) but had some differences, denso obviously saw the issues and made changes such as PRV, pump & injector calibrations ect to eliminate the problems and no doubt the semans system has done the same :D N

Are you not well Ned.. :?: :?: :wink:

That's the first paragraph where you've spoken some sense..! :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgree

Lord Knobrot

I must still be high on diesel and euphoria :lol: normal service will be resumed, first poetry and now technology defence jees I had better go see Dr Butt :wink: N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:22 pm

nedforceone wrote:I going to defend the mk666 tdci,

I have said it before and I'll say it again there is no such thing as an unreliable engine just unreliable owners.

Lets say you bought a mk666 tdci from new, serviced it regularly, dealt with every dtc as it arose, and generally looked after it then it would be going strong, whereas if they get neglected more problems arise causing a bigger drama.
Lets not forget the Delphi common rail system was new technology in the mk666 that most people didn't understand how it worked and over looked the faults or could diagnose them, this wasn't help with it not being obd2 compliant, so I theory if 1 injector was dying not many places could diagnose the it untill all 4 failed.

Lets not forget the denso system of the mk7, is it better than Delphi? How many time have your read, PRV, SCV, pump and pilot learn, injector clamps and bolts, copper washers, hunting, more people understand the common rail system when the mk7 came out so they could diagnose and fix the fault instead of guessing what was wrong.

Now it seems the semans system in the custom and mk8 are starting to having a few issues.

So was/is the mk666 tdci really as bad as the stick it gets, or is it the underdog, the one everyone picks on, the one that in the right hands will come out fighting and clock up the miles and just keep on keeping on.

Probably not if the diesel haters have anything to do with it :D N
Keep yer mk6 tdci.......346000miles ,between 38 -44 mpg and can still keep up with the fast boys on the motoways what more can you ask of mk7 lwb 2.2 130....... Actually it wasn't that long ago that me auld beast was dragging an auld mk6 tdci aboot the place trying to force some life into the devil machine
Hahaha
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Trip across france, spain, italy and sh*t broke

Postby the dutch guy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:41 pm

And there it is,

Turbo is leaking a LOT of air during boost. It kinda started in the alps during long uphill full boost runs a bit. No power loss, just a tad slower on pickup and stuff. Kinda expected that after such long full boost hill runs.

Now i am losing power and its blowing badly on boost.

I cannot find the hole in the pipes so far. Engine is way too hot to mess around. I need actual boost to find the leak, the tiny bit of boost when flooring it on idle is not enough to crack the hole enough for me to find it. Tomorrow when everyting is cold i will start removing hoses and check them. Only thing i noticed so far is oil sweat from the turbo output side that is making a mess of the way too complicated plastic pipe going down. Can someone explain to me what in the hell that plastic pipe is doing and am i hosed if that pipe is dickerd?
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ned » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:52 pm

The little plastic bit at the back just below the turbo :?: think its called a resonator. N

ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby philip8158 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:51 pm

west yorkshire to southern spain,in my 2003 remapped 75hp fwd. never missed a beat.doing another round trip oct 10th
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
philip8158

Re: Trip across france, spain, italy and sh*t broke

Postby knobby1 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:07 pm

the dutch guy wrote:And there it is,

Turbo is leaking a LOT of air during boost. It kinda started in the alps during long uphill full boost runs a bit. No power loss, just a tad slower on pickup and stuff. Kinda expected that after such long full boost hill runs.

Now i am losing power and its blowing badly on boost.

I cannot find the hole in the pipes so far. Engine is way too hot to mess around. I need actual boost to find the leak, the tiny bit of boost when flooring it on idle is not enough to crack the hole enough for me to find it. Tomorrow when everyting is cold i will start removing hoses and check them. Only thing i noticed so far is oil sweat from the turbo output side that is making a mess of the way too complicated plastic pipe going down. Can someone explain to me what in the hell that plastic pipe is doing and am i hosed if that pipe is dickerd?

Manifold split maybe or even the intercooler..?? Fairly common I believe. I had a split boost hose on my Mk7 RWD where it joins the manifold, was at the back of the hose and I missed it the first time I looked. :oops:

Lord Knobrot

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 am

Yup, you are totally right, i is in the back of the bend going into the manifold.

Going to do some getto macgyuver fixing (vucanising tape, thin rope and a hose clamp, no paper clip tho :mrgreen: ) and see if it lasts long enough, still have 2500km to go.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby MK7 user » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:28 pm

the dutch guy wrote:Going to do some getto macgyuver fixing (vucanising tape, thin rope and a hose clamp, no paper clip tho :mrgreen: ) and see if it lasts long enough, still have 2500km to go.

Can you here us shouting moral support :?:
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby the dutch guy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:54 pm

MK7 user wrote:
the dutch guy wrote:Going to do some getto macgyuver fixing (vucanising tape, thin rope and a hose clamp, no paper clip tho :mrgreen: ) and see if it lasts long enough, still have 2500km to go.

Can you here us shouting moral support :?:

No, not really, i do hear some cat-like screeches coming from down under :mrgreen:

Ps: fixed for now with a copius amount of electrical tape and regular ductape (with cotton strands) and now put on some hoseclamps to prevent the tape from expanding and coming loose. Got some vulanising tape on standby if the electrical tape gives up.
Mk6 SWB TDCI 125
the dutch guy
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby knobby1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:38 pm

the dutch guy wrote:Ps: fixed for now with a copius amount of electrical tape and regular ductape (with cotton strands) and now put on some hoseclamps to prevent the tape from expanding and coming loose. Got some vulanising tape on standby if the electrical tape gives up.

There ya go.....McGyvered...hopefully it'll hold together long enough to get you home.. :mrgreen:

Lord Knobrot

knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MK7 user » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:49 pm

the dutch guy wrote:still have 2500km to go.

A decent bush mechanic will do the same repair you have done & give a 3,000km warranty - sorted. :D
MK7 user
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

PreviousNext

Return to Mk6 & Mk7 - Third Generation Transits