*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Epic to Bosch pump conversion fuelling adjustments

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Epic to Bosch pump conversion fuelling adjustments

Postby gardener68 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:07 pm

re; mk5 2.5 turbo
ok youve done away with the epic setup and replaced it with a bosch mechanical pump.

from information gleaned from forum you adjust the rear screw on the pump by 1 1/2 turns or until it smokes to much.

this much i understand and it seems to work

but , in other threads about upping power on non turbo versions you are directed to adjust a different screw on the pump , one on the top which apparently does the mid range fuelling.

please could somebody advise on what exactly both do and what is the best procedure to extract maximium power on epic to bosch 145/146 conversions without unintentionaly f*** it up.

cheers Russ
gardener68
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Re: Epic to Bosch pump conversion fuelling adjustments

Postby Guy88 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:01 am

back one is MAX fuelling and does all the ranges

Top one is mid range (AKA smoke screw)

When i did mine i adjusted the MAX until it smoked then backed the mid range off a bit till it was good
2005 Ford F250 Super Duty
1992 MK3 ambulance
1980 A Series crew cab
1984 A series RB44

REMAPPED BY http://WWW.VANTUNER.COM HE IS THE WAY FORWARD

LIVIN' LOUD
Guy88
Site Moderator

Postby gardener68 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:59 pm

thankyou for explanation :D

i was asking because i had backed off everything to standard (apart from pump timing advance) for the mot a month ago.

basicaly even with standard pump settings the van ran fine and i got used to lower power output.

however i got bored with the "slow" settings the other day and also realised that it did nothing to improve the mpg.

i tried alter the "smoke" screw first by winding it in a couple of turns but it didnt seem to do anything so i reset it.

i then turned the max fueling up by two turns and the van became a turbo again :D :D :D

however it left a black fog down the street so i wound it back half a turn (1 1/2 turns in)and the fog dissappeared.

by this point i decided to give the neighbours a break.

i will try winding in the max screw and adjusting out the "smoke" screw in the near future and report the findings.
gardener68
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby alanwh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:13 pm

It's a fine ballancing act for sure, you'll not illiminate a puff of black smoke while inittially revving though
as it takes a few seconds for the airflow from the turbo to catch up with the initial over fuelling from the pump.
Mine smokes more than I would like on acceleration but it passed the MOT no probs !
alanwh
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gardener68 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:58 pm

unfortunately i have had to leave any further adjustments as i managed to bust the propshaft.
1 1/2 turns of the max screw and leaving the mid one alone seems to be a pretty good setting on my van,.
gardener68
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby alanwh » Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:11 pm

Oh Noo, serves you right for using all that new found grunt lol..

Only kidding !

Yep sounds you've found the right setting, you have to be careful not to wind back the screw on the top of the pump much as I found it ruined mid range torque.

Good luck with the Prop !
alanwh
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits