*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

very high oil pressure in the rocker cover

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

very high oil pressure in the rocker cover

Postby meerkatmag » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:33 pm

Does everyone's transit have loads of oil in the rocker cover? Mine has so much pressure up there it pumps out of the filler cap if I take it off. It's so hard to seal the rocker cover, I have to use loads of sealant to stop it leaking. The slightest imperfection and it gushes out oil. Is this normal or is something wrong?

It's a 2.5di but I have added a turbo, oil in the rocker cover is the same as pre turbo though.
1988 transit MK3 2.5di na
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: very high oil pressure in the rocker cover

Postby dumper » Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:26 pm

Not had this myself but a bolt in the head in the rocker box can come out and let a lot of oil into the top of the engine.
Or the breather pipe and cap could be blocked I had one years ago on a recon engine a plug had been left in the cap and it was blowing oil out this was done by a Ford dealership.
Or worse worn pistons and getting blowback
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby meerkatmag » Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:16 pm

Thanks,

I don't think there's any loose bolts in the rocker case, as I would have seen them. But could you cast your eyes over the pictures attached and see if anything seems off?

The PCV system is definitely not blocked as I installed a new cap and pipe running into the inlet of the turbo. Also I do have a crankcase pressure sensor which is pretty much always at 0 psi.

On the blowby option, I'm pretty sure the engine isn't worn, it's only done 62k and doesn't burn oil. Surely there would be other symptoms of this?

IMG_20200519_172545.jpg

IMG_20200519_172525.jpg

IMG_20200519_172517 (1).jpg

IMG_20200519_172512.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby meerkatmag » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:36 pm

I opened up the rocker case and had a check of the bolts. The m6 bolts that I think you are talking about were in place. I wouldn't say they were loose but they definitely could be tighter. I tightened those up as much as I think a m6 bolt can take. I checked all the other bolts and they are all super tight.

One other thing I did find was the two holes at either end of the head were quite blocked with gunk. So I cleared all that out, not sure what they are but possibly drain holes?

New gasket fitted so I'll try tomorrow to start it and see if it's any better.
Cheers for the help.
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby meerkatmag » Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:05 pm

I'm still having trouble with this. I'm using the newer gaskets made from rubber and metal, but my van is a mk3 with 8mm rocker bolts. I just read that the later rocker covers used 6mm bolts. Is that correct? If my 8mm bolts are snagging on the gasket could that be causing the leak? It's hard to find the old style cork gaskets, but is this worth a try?
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Keef » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:39 am

Your rocker breather or associated pipework isn't blocked is it?
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby V184 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:51 pm

meerkatmag wrote:I'm still having trouble with this. I'm using the newer gaskets made from rubber and metal, but my van is a mk3 with 8mm rocker bolts. I just read that the later rocker covers used 6mm bolts. Is that correct? If my 8mm bolts are snagging on the gasket could that be causing the leak? It's hard to find the old style cork gaskets, but is this worth a try?

Overtime the continuous use of a cork gasket distorts the cover and the later one wont seal, your correct yours is 8mm and bolts are 6mm, i would revert to a cork one and torque the bolts
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby meerkatmag » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:24 pm

V184 wrote:
meerkatmag wrote:I'm still having trouble with this. I'm using the newer gaskets made from rubber and metal, but my van is a mk3 with 8mm rocker bolts. I just read that the later rocker covers used 6mm bolts. Is that correct? If my 8mm bolts are snagging on the gasket could that be causing the leak? It's hard to find the old style cork gaskets, but is this worth a try?

Overtime the continuous use of a cork gasket distorts the cover and the later one wont seal, your correct yours is 8mm and bolts are 6mm, i would revert to a cork one and torque the bolts

Thanks that's good to know, it could well be warped. I have found a Cork gasket on ebay so will give that a go.
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby meerkatmag » Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:26 pm

Keef wrote:Your rocker breather or associated pipework isn't blocked is it?

Yeah I have taken the cap off the whole time I've been trying to get the rocker to seal and it has still leaked every time

Also it's a new pipe running straight to rhe turbo inlet and definitely not blocked. Also the pcv valve is new and I've tried blowing through it and it feels free.
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Keef » Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:37 am

I'd take the rocker cover off and check it's mating surface is flat maybe using a sheet of glass and a feeler gauge.
Sometimes they get distorted, especially around the bolt holes.
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby meerkatmag » Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:52 pm

Keef wrote:I'd take the rocker cover off and check it's mating surface is flat maybe using a sheet of glass and a feeler gauge.
Sometimes they get distorted, especially around the bolt holes.

If its warped how could I re flatten it or would I need to just source a new cover? I don't think new ones are available anywhere
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:44 am

Been thinking out of the box we had a air cooled Lister generator set that was overheating so bad it was burning the paint off the engine it was stripped down and nothing could be found wrong it had a full rebuild and still the same it was only when a second one came back off hire that the problem was found turned out it had lost the dipstick on site and had been supplied with a shorter dipstick, so it ended up with too much oil in it that simple thing was causing the problem so is it possible you have too much oil in the engine.

Is your oil filter cap is the type with a pipe on that goes into the inlet manifold and not had a cap without the pipe fitted to the manifold and vented to air like a pinto or Kent engine.
Sometimes something so simple can give big problems that are not always apparent.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby meerkatmag » Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:35 am

dumper wrote:Been thinking out of the box we had a air cooled Lister generator set that was overheating so bad it was burning the paint off the engine it was stripped down and nothing could be found wrong it had a full rebuild and still the same it was only when a second one came back off hire that the problem was found turned out it had lost the dipstick on site and had been supplied with a shorter dipstick, so it ended up with too much oil in it that simple thing was causing the problem so is it possible you have too much oil in the engine.

Is your oil filter cap is the type with a pipe on that goes into the inlet manifold and not had a cap without the pipe fitted to the manifold and vented to air like a pinto or Kent engine.
Sometimes something so simple can give big problems that are not always apparent.

Thanks for the ideas. The breather hose is connected to the turbo inlet its definitely clear of blockages.

With the cap off at idle I can feel a faint movement of air from inside the rocker cover nothing much. If I seal it with my hand I can't feel much pressure. I can't check under load, there may well be blowby. If I go for a drive with the filler cap off (by mistake) the whole engine gets covered in oil!

Don't know how I'd check for too much oil, its certainly good level on the dipstick and it doesn't burn oil at all. I have a pressure sender and it sits around 60psi at cruise. 14psi at idle, these are at running temp. Too much oil would cause higher pressure than this surely?

One other thought I've had is all the times I've used hylomar blue (sometimes generously), has some of it got free and got stuck in the oil passages draining back from the rockers. This might be stopping the oil from draining properly and its pooling in the rocker cover. Again not sure how to check this. You can't get down past the push rods to check without removing them. I'm not excited about doing that as the adjuster screws are extremely stiff.
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:51 pm

if you start them with the oil cap off or dipstick removed they will shower you with oil even when they were new :wink:
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby meerkatmag » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:17 pm

V184 wrote:if you start them with the oil cap off or dipstick removed they will shower you with oil even when they were new :wink:

Haha that's good know, maybe I just need to fit the gasket properly.

Quick update, I installed the cork gasket just now with a tiny amount of hylomar and i can't torque it anywhere near 7nm or it starts to bulge out the side. So far not impressed with it. I think the bolts will vibrate loose as they are now.
meerkatmag
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits