*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2.5di banana engine fueling issues

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

2.5di banana engine fueling issues

Postby blkc » Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:53 pm

evening all :)

got an issue with my old transit, i went out on a short journey everything was going fine until i hit main road and it started to struggle abit getting to 50mph, got off the main road and the revs and idle went abit funny a phew time times then it started stalling whilst in neutral and having to slow down ?

i got back just about.. left it for an hour wouldn't start unless you had throttle down it idled fine but gave it any high revs it would just stall out, it done that once or twice then refused to start altogether.

noticed a leak off the line to lift pump from the tank, thought this would be the ideal time to install all the new parts so took its face off and done the timing belt installed all new fuel lines fuel filter and electric lift pump new stop solenoid primed the filter and pumps got fuel to the injectors and its just cranking. was out there all day and its just cranking, i got it to fire on easy start but it didn't continue (only had a tiny bit in can left to fire it) so gave it a tow and after about 5/6 attempts it fired a couple of times eventually to a point where it ran for about 30 seconds revved up okay then died after i gave it a rev again ???

was out there all today triple checking everything, done a compression test and that came back good, everything seems to be spot on i just cant get it to fire under its own doing...

im by myself tomorrow so cant grab a tow or get someone to crank it to give the injectors ago again, got no Manuel hand primer either .. was thinking of grabbing a tin of easy start in the morning but didn't want to over do it with the stuff would rather get it running off its own steam :) any suggestions with what i should try or what the problem could be ?
blkc

Re: 2.5di banana engine fueling issues

Postby Bruce e » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:25 am

Had a similar problem with my one when I fitted another injection pump, had fuel at injectors but would not fire, put a electric fuel pump in line and started strate away and has been going good since

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
Bruce e
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:20 pm

Sounds like the injection pump is faulty
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Chug » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:32 am

If it fired on easystart and then revved up, then I suspect you still have air in the system, if you have an electric pump fitted then you should be able to crack the injector pipes open and turn the engine by hand until one has a steady flow and then shut it off and then turn until the next.
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby V184 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:06 am

Chug wrote:If it fired on easystart and then revved up, then I suspect you still have air in the system, if you have an electric pump fitted then you should be able to crack the injector pipes open and turn the engine by hand until one has a steady flow and then shut it off and then turn until the next.

Doesn't really cure the initial problem ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby baba2000 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:17 am

Is the rod to the egr secure, It can pop off, I had this and it was like it was in limp mode.

I later had a fuelling issue, it turned over but wouldn't start which ended up with cleaning the fuel tank, doing the leak off mod, also fitting a new injector pump and injectors. Sollved.
baba2000
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:58 pm

[quote="baba2000"]Is the rod to the egr secure, It can pop off, I had this and it was like it was in limp mode. Normally excessive black smoke
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits