*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

seatbelt mot struggles what to do?

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

seatbelt mot struggles what to do?

Postby trannynick » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:32 pm

hi guys, i am having a major problem with my front belts now that its mot time. the passenger front one was knackered, i have removed that and can not find a replacement anywhere at a reasonable price, secondly, my drivers belt wont retract all the way in but keeps me snug in the seat when wearing it, is this an mot fail? i dont want to pull it all the way out and try to clean the belt somehow in case it goes pop like the passenger one did, i prised the covers off the passenger one and the spring was rusted real bad.

Is there a method of fitting a mk6 or a mk7 mechanism to the mk5, that would be much easier as they are more widely available, has anybody had similair issues. Many thanks all. Its a transit duetto, with 2 front seats.
trannynick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: seatbelt mot struggles what to do?

Postby Chug » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:52 pm

Yes they have to retract fully. Have you asked MinorMatt if he has any seat belts? and maybe another possibility is Keef
1991(J) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
1994(L) twin wheel tipper 2.5di
Chug
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Keef » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:14 pm

I'm pretty sure I've got some, I'll have a look on Monday if you're interested?
Keef
MK3 Massive

Postby trannynick » Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:28 pm

Keef wrote:I'm pretty sure I've got some, I'll have a look on Monday if you're interested?

Yes, still not got hold of one yet! Cheers.
trannynick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby trannynick » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:49 pm

after managing to source a seatbelt and waiting for it to arrive i decidced to wd40 the drivers one, lucky for me the drivers one became faulty too upon removal and i had to strip it, wd40 it, rewind it and set the spring. it now retracts all the way in but only if it is helped by hand over the shoulder mounting point, i have used pledge polish on it and it moves more smoothly, I suppose i could of fixed the other belt too but i ended up dislodging the spring so thats definitely toast. Will it pass the mot if both belts function like this, i have read somewhere the belt must fully retract full stop, and alos read the belt must retract when in the fixed position, any mot testers out there or anyone in the know? The internet is full of conflicting info on stuff like this . thanks. :idea:
trannynick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:30 am

I may well have another belt if you need it?

A good MOT bodge would be to make sure the drivers belt is good and remove the passenger seat :lol:
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby trannynick » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:13 pm

MinorMatt wrote:I may well have another belt if you need it?

A good MOT bodge would be to make sure the drivers belt is good and remove the passenger seat :lol:

lol, yes i was thinking of borrowing someones child booster seat and having that in place with the lazy seatbelt so they dont touch it. However both belts now seem good enough. Both retract fully with a little help by hand, they dont hang loose at all. So fingers crossed.
trannynick
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits