*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What did you do to your mk 3/4/5 today.

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Re: What did you do to your mk 3/4/5 today.

Postby gotgcoalman » Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:02 pm

Today my mk5 decided to pressurize the cooling system.
Gauge started to rise,so stopped and opened the bonnet.

Header tank was full
Waited 10 minutes or so and slowly released the cap.
Hissed a bit but didn't loose any coolant.

Water dropped back to normal mark so I started the engine and observed the water with the cap off.
Revving a few times.

Replaced cap and drove all day with no problems.

Air in system

Sent from my LE2101 using Tapatalk
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:19 pm

On my MK3 there is a mirror on the left from the 1992-1995 model, and on the right there was a mirror from the 1986-1992 model.
You look there like a chicken's tail.
Yesterday I replaced the old small mirror with a large two-piece from a 1995-2000 model.
I had to make two points for attaching the new mirror. For one there was a hole, I installed a nut there, attached to a steel plate. I made the third point on a self-tapping screw.
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Noctule » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:29 pm

Replaced a 'mayfly' brand prop shaft mount I fitted early last year with a 'febi'-branded mount. The bearing had failed, resulting in a horrible grinding noise at low speeds. Hopefully febi will last more than one winter. I suppose I'd better buy another as I'd replaced the other mount over the summer, and it'll soon be May again.
2000 Mk5 HiCube self-build camper
- 2.5tdi 4EA with EPIC-to-Bosch conversion
- DRW with 16" rims
- Mondeo instrument cluster
- Lunar Meteorite interior

2006 Mk7 115t350 van (cheap tax tramp)

Previously...
Mk5 100 swb Custom
Mk5 190 lwb x3
Noctule
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby gotgcoalman » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:30 pm

Volt meter in cab started reading low recently.
Anyway today turning things on took it to battery voltages.

Checked with tester on batteries and directly to the back of the alternator.

Best reading direct to alternator is 13.9 (showing as 13.8 in cab)

Heater on #1,side lights,dash cam and voltage shows 12.6-13.2v

Replacement required methinks.

Sent from my LE2101 using Tapatalk
ne m'écoute pas je suis plein de merde.
A house without a dog is like a forum without a BJT.
Too bloody quiet :shock:
gotgcoalman
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby cherniy_chack » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:42 pm

On Lucas generators, the output voltage decreases over time due to poor quality voltage regulator relays and/or general contamination of the generator.
To replace the relay-controller, the generator must be removed, and the removed generator, if it is dirty, can be easily washed.

I have not noticed this with the Mitsubishi generator.
I recently exchanged for a new spherical expansion tank
old and dirty, but on MK3!
I remember the school chemistry course very well and know how to wash off rust in a plastic tank.
You need to pump a hot solution of any acid through it.
But I decided to ask Google how to wash the tank. I found several videos, I liked one, although the author at the beginning of the video shows an old dirty tank, and at the end shows a new one. Not washed, but new. Viewers also see this and comment on the deception accordingly. In the video, the author simply puts a dirty tank in a cold acid solution, and then takes out another, new one.
I liked the chemicals that the author used - sulfamic acid and sodium pyrosulfate.
I prescribed and received these drugs via the Internet, took from a neighbor a new heating element for an automatic washing machine, an additional pump for the heating system of Russian minibuses and a plastic bucket.
I dissolved the chemicals in cold water, lowered the old, cracked expansion tank into the solution, lowered the heating element into the solution and started the circulation of the acid solution from the bucket through the pump into the tank and then back into the bucket.
After about half an hour, the solution heated up to about 60...70 degrees Celsius and the pump stopped pumping the solution.
I took the defective tank, cleanly washed from rust, out of the bucket.
The experiment was a success, but why do I need a clean tank with a crack?
The next day I removed the dirty but intact tank from the car, put it in a bucket of solution, and lowered the heating element into the bucket. For better cleaning, I often lifted the tank and lowered it again - if there is no circulation, then there is no reaction of the acid with rust.
I disassembled the pump, it turned out that the acid had eaten the nut that fixed the impeller to the shaft and the impeller was simply hanging in the housing.
Soon the heating element began to hiss and foam suspiciously, and the solution stopped heating. It turned out that the acid had eaten the protective tube of the heating element and current flowed from the input pins through the solution.
I had to pour coarse salt into the tank and shake it in my hands for several minutes, and so on twice.
But as a result, I managed to almost perfectly clean the expansion tank of rust!
And now a little accounting.
I bought a new spherical tank with a new lid for 800 hryvnia.
Chemicals with delivery cost 300 hryvnia. A new heating element costs 350 hryvnia. The pump cannot be repaired, a new one costs 550...600 hryvnia.
I could buy another spherical tank and 5 liters of antifreeze...
cherniy_chack
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Previous

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits