*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Mk3 dashboard swap???

Transit Mk3, 4 & 5(smiley front) Forum. All Transits 1986 - 2000

Mk3 dashboard swap???

Postby 9bar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:50 pm

Is it possible to put a newer dashboard (complete - not just clocks) into a Mk3???

I was swapping mine anyway as it is holed and scratched to hell from all it's previous owners/abusers

9bar
User avatar
9bar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Leeds

Postby AndyG » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:55 pm

It's been done :!: Already :D

Do a search :idea:

The only problem was getting the heater/centre vents to comply :(
Image
Ford Transit 120 TDI EPIC Automatic. 0-60 in a leisurely and smooth 12.7 seconds and 1/4 mile in 19.1 seconds. Now where's all these faster? manual Di s?
User avatar
AndyG
Site Admin
 
Posts: 27833
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:14 am
Location: West London

Postby 9bar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 pm

Andyg wrote:It's been done :!: Already :D

Do a search :idea:

The only problem was getting the heater/centre vents to comply :(


In that case - is there anyone in or near Leeds with one they don't want???

9bar
User avatar
9bar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:59 pm
Location: Leeds

Postby geordie white van man » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:53 pm

Yeah the dash fits. I did my old mk3. I fitted a dashboard from a 1998 smiley into my 1989 transit.

Just get the later heater matrix and drill new holes in the bulk head for the heater pipes, otherwise it fits.
Check out our brand new community!
http://buspreservation.phpbb.net/index.php
User avatar
geordie white van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Postby DarkLegend » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:58 am

Just get the later heater matrix and drill new holes in the bulk head for the heater pipes, otherwise it fits.


No other mods required? Does the rest of the dash mount in the same places etc?
User avatar
DarkLegend
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:40 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Postby MrMPuk » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:59 am

Not all the bolt holes line up but enough do.
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 27856
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:50 am

Postby geordie white van man » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:16 am

yeah, what he said /\ /\ /\ /\

Its more the wiring you need to contend with. if you are good at electrics you shouldnt have a problem. When you get the dash get the multiplug for the switches etc with a bit wire on them so you can wire the new dash up. I did this to mine then a few months later I swapped the entire wiring loom from a 1995 transit onto my 1989 transit so it even had the PATS system on it for extra security complete with the red light in the headcloth 8). I went a bit over board and swapped everything as I bought a full van so it was so much easier. I even fitted the fuel tank as the smiley tanks are a bit bigger but that takes a bit more doing as the necks are different and the straps to hold the tank in place are in a different position.
Check out our brand new community!
http://buspreservation.phpbb.net/index.php
User avatar
geordie white van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Postby DarkLegend » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:26 am

Excellent, cheers..!

I'll keep my eyes peeled for a decent Mk5 dash then!
User avatar
DarkLegend
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:40 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Postby geordie white van man » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:38 am

heres a couple pics of my mk3 dash conversion to mk5,

Image

Image

Image

And also 1 of the van sporting its smiley front conversion aswell 8)
Image
Check out our brand new community!
http://buspreservation.phpbb.net/index.php
User avatar
geordie white van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Postby DarkLegend » Sat Nov 25, 2006 2:38 am

Excellent, that looks 8)

Hows about Smiley style door trims, will they fit on Mk3 doors?

Or even electric windows? (current doors are in A1 condition, and have the camper decals on so I would like to keep them)
User avatar
DarkLegend
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:40 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Postby jay » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:22 am

what about the steering column case bit do u use a mk3 or the 1 with the dash?
mk1 connect tourneo
User avatar
jay
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 7916
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:24 pm
Location: Essex

Postby geordie white van man » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:10 pm

I think I used the smiley front 1 but I think they were more or less the same anyway.

The door trims wont fit the mk3 doors as the inner door handles are in different places, you are better off replacing the doors if you want the smiley trims. I replaced my doors as they rotten so I had the smiley door panels and mirrors. The mirrors can be made to fit the mk3 doors though. I think you need to drill a new hole if I remember rightly.

I ended up with everything on my mk3 from a smiley. the only thing I didnt get round to doing was the rear axle. I had the axle but it needed the shocker mounts cutting off and welding on the other side then the van would have looked like a proper smiley front or a ringer as some people tried telling me it was :roll: I had one person saying, "No way, thats a G reg mate, its gotta be a f*****g ringer!"
Check out our brand new community!
http://buspreservation.phpbb.net/index.php
User avatar
geordie white van man
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri May 06, 2005 9:53 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne

Postby stevo » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:43 pm

The Mk5 looks so much bigger, i still like that Mk3 dash though.
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
User avatar
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic
 
Posts: 4465
Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 12:45 am
Location: Dudley, West Midlands

Postby DarkLegend » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:00 am

Can anyone who has done this confirm if they had an pedal issues?

Spoke to the blokes at the local Transit breakers and they said 'Don't bother mate, far too much hassle, the heater matrix doesn't fit, the pedals are in a different place and the whole bulkhead is the wrong shape, it'll never look right.'

Doesn't seem to agree with the above, sounds like bollocks??
User avatar
DarkLegend
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:40 pm
Location: Cumbria UK

Postby FredTransit » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:21 am

DarkLegend wrote:Can anyone who has done this confirm if they had an pedal issues?

Spoke to the blokes at the local Transit breakers and they said 'Don't bother mate, far too much hassle, the heater matrix doesn't fit, the pedals are in a different place and the whole bulkhead is the wrong shape, it'll never look right.'

Doesn't seem to agree with the above, sounds like bollocks??


Sounds like bollocks to me. Believe the people who have done it. Properly, ie the members of this forum.
What I would like to know is how to get a Mk3 dash to work in a Mk2, cos there are bits of ours that could do with replacing, and the tank Mk3 tank sender won't work with the Mk2 dash.
A Transit is for life, not just for Christmas. http://www.a2ecommercials.webs.com
My galleries - http://a2ecommercials.webs.com/apps/photos/
User avatar
FredTransit
Mk2 Trannyist
 
Posts: 17470
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:34 am
Location: London

Next

Return to Mk 3, 4 & 5 - Second Generation Transits



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.