*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

mk1 190 tow weight

Transit Mk1 & 2 Forum. All Transits 1965 - 1986

Moderator: Luke

mk1 190 tow weight

Postby snakemaster » Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 pm

what can a Mk1 Transit twin wheel long wheel based van 190 tow legally with a braked trailer
Wanted manta A front spoiler , i now theres one out ther for me
snakemaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: mk1 190 tow weight

Postby Ken B » Wed May 25, 2011 4:05 pm

The GTW should be on a plate in/on the vehicle somewhere, and technically would be an offence to tow without this info displayed. But I've scanned the chart from my handbook for you. The less load you have in your vehicle, technically the more you can tow. (up to your GTW limit of course).
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby (ROG) » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 am

In the handbook does it also give the maximum towing capacity for the vehicle or just the GTW?
EX IAM car and commercial observer
(ROG)
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ken B » Thu May 26, 2011 2:41 pm

No it doesn't. But to be honest I dont see how it can. Transit is a commercial, comes with a thousand different body styles. You take the kerbside weight of your individual Transit, take it away from your GTW (Gross Train weight) and then your somewhere near.
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby captain hook » Thu May 26, 2011 6:09 pm

The Laws on towing have changed many times since that was printed. :?
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Ken B » Thu May 26, 2011 7:46 pm

Possibly but the towing capacity weights for a Mk1 Transit haven't. :D
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby captain hook » Thu May 26, 2011 9:08 pm

:roll:
captain hook
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby MrMPuk » Thu May 26, 2011 9:36 pm

:lol: :lol:
MrMPuk
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby snakemaster » Sun May 29, 2011 5:16 pm

my chassis plate says GTW 3.85 ton and she 2.2 empty so is that 1.65 ton i can tow ? my range rover is 2 ton and i can tow 3.5 ton acording to the chassis plate .
Wanted manta A front spoiler , i now theres one out ther for me
snakemaster
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby (ROG) » Sun May 29, 2011 7:28 pm

snakemaster wrote:my chassis plate says GTW 3.85 ton and she 2.2 empty so is that 1.65 ton i can tow ?

On a B+E licence yes if the van actually weighs 2.2 and the trailer actually weighs 1.65 and the MAM of the trailer is between 1.65 to 3.5 tonnes

If you only got a B licence then with the van actually weighing 2.2 tonnes (unladen) you can tow a trailer wthat actually weighs 1.3 tonnes and the MAM of that trailer must not be more than 2.2 tonnes
(ROG)
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ken B » Sun May 29, 2011 10:22 pm

I dont think thats right at all what you've written there. Unladen weights do not come into it at all, all entitlements are based on MAM or Gross weights in old speak.

for post 97 licences

B licence you can only tow up to a 750kg MAM trailer and even then the car/van would have to have a kerbside weight of a 1.5 tonnes to be legally able to do that, but the total combined MAM cannot exceed 3.5tonnes.

B +E licence you can tow a combination of car/van and trailer with a Maximum combined 3.5 tonne MAM. How much a van or trailer actually weigh has little to with it. It the caryying capacity.

Its all here, clearer than DVLA's own version.
http://fbhvc.co.uk/driving-entitlement/
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ken B » Mon May 30, 2011 1:37 am

snakemaster wrote:my chassis plate says GTW 3.85 ton and she 2.2 empty so is that 1.65 ton i can tow ? my range rover is 2 ton and i can tow 3.5 ton acording to the chassis plate .

Yes that is correct on both scores. That is assuming you have the correct driving licence entitlements(see above post). Which confusingly is based on Maximum carrying capacitys (or MAM's) not GTW.
As for the Range Rover that would be correct, I had one years ago and that said approximately the same. The reason being that has a seperate chassis.

I should have pointed out the chart i copied above was for Transit vans and minibuses. It doesn't cover the chassis cabs models as far as i can work out, which of course may have higher GTW, not that the V4 would pull them!!

Going back to driving licence entitlements briefly, which frankly post 97 confuse the life out of me and DVLA as their .gov website is very badly worded...thankfully i passed test in 1980!!
The other thing I spotted but seeing I cant edit my previous post, I did forget under entitlements B to add you can actually tow a 750kg MAM trailer behind a 3500kg MAM vehicle allowing a combined mass of 4,25 tonnes.
See i bet your confused now!!!
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby (ROG) » Mon May 30, 2011 8:22 am

Ken B wrote:I dont think thats right at all what you've written there. Unladen weights do not come into it at all, all entitlements are based on MAM or Gross weights in old speak.

for post 97 licences

B licence you can only tow up to a 750kg MAM trailer and even then the car/van would have to have a kerbside weight of a 1.5 tonnes to be legally able to do that, but the total combined MAM cannot exceed 3.5tonnes.

B +E licence you can tow a combination of car/van and trailer with a Maximum combined 3.5 tonne MAM. How much a van or trailer actually weigh has little to with it. It the caryying capacity.

Its all here, clearer than DVLA's own version.
http://fbhvc.co.uk/driving-entitlement/

Kerbside weight is the same as unladen weight

As all can see from the quotes the rules are different for B and BE and being pre or post 97 makes no difference for licence requirements

BE does not go on totally on MAM weights
On a BE licence I could legally tow a trailer of 3.5 tonnes MAM with a vehicle of 3.5 tonnes MAM which is a maximum of 7 tonnes MAM as long as the actual combined weight did not exceed the GTW - where ever you got your info from needs educating
(ROG)
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby (ROG) » Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 am

snakemaster wrote: my range rover is 2 ton and i can tow 3.5 ton acording to the chassis plate .

What is the GTW listed on the plate?
(ROG)
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ken B » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:55 pm

(ROG) wrote:
As all can see from the quotes the rules are different for B and BE and being pre or post 97 makes no difference for licence requirements

BE does not go on totally on MAM weights
On a BE licence I could legally tow a trailer of 3.5 tonnes MAM with a vehicle of 3.5 tonnes MAM which is a maximum of 7 tonnes MAM as long as the actual combined weight did not exceed the GTW - where ever you got your info from needs educating

Well you should make a living explaining that one to the Judges if anyone gets caught then.
ImageImage
Ken B
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Next

Return to Mk 1 & 2