*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

AlanN's MK3 V6 Day Van

This forum can be used to update other members on your progress with your Transit.

Re: My MK3 Day Van

Postby rover » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:52 pm

AlanN wrote:Rover, I seem to remember that you put spacers on your back wheels, did you have to change the studs and is it an easy enough job? Ive not tried the wheels yet, so im not sure what width spacer I want yet, but Im think I will have to change them.

I had 7mm spacers on the rear along with my Wellers, it looked ok and the track was then similar to a standard Mk5, I now have some very large spacers on there and one side is flush with the arch, the other is not far off but the Transit body is almost always not central,

The ally spacers I still have, yours for a tenner :wink: No need for longer studs either.

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby AlanN » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:38 pm

PM sent :D
Ford Transit MK3 1989 2.8i V6 Auto Member of the MK3 Massive

R.I.P Kirk Bacon aka Eugene Speed
AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby fridge doctor » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:45 pm

What a superb job mister. I thought I was a perfectionist but your attention to the details is just amazing. A true labour of love. 8)
fridge doctor
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AlanN » Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:59 pm

Its amazing what you can do with digital photography :lol:

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby AlanN » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Although I have a thread about my wheels on “Transit Talk” I thought I would try and keep some of it in with my progress report.
Well, a recent purchase from Guy88 of some Weller Modular rims has seen me cracking up along with the wheels!!!
I started by removing the fake plastic bolts, some of which where broken off or sand blasted into black blobs, then reshaping and refacing the edges of the rims, which had a few years of nicks and digs. Removing the paint took about hour per rim using a variable speed grinder with a flapper wheel, I did try and use wire brush discs etc, but it was just too slow. I then finished off by grounding down the inner faces of the holes with a dremmel... Almost chrome.
I then sprayed the rims with what I thought was white primer, but turned out to be appliance white gloss, so when I sprayed on some filler spray, it reacted and cracked… What made it even worse was that this paint doesn’t set hard and just clogged up the flapper wheel, so it just burnt, so that’s how I had to get it off, just turned the grinder up to full speed and burned, scraped and ground it off.
Now the wheels are in primer… safe. Spent most of today in the shed with primer and filler spray, just flattening down again & again until silky smooth. Brought them into the house again tonight as it looked like the paint was starting to bloom a bit, she isn’t going to be happy in the morning. A few more coats and a final flattening during the week and I’ll think about topcoat next weekend, still can’t make my mind up, white or silver.
Still got to find some M5 blue anodised cap bolts and some chrome centre caps, spoted some chrome wheel nut covers on eBay, wounder what size the nuts are?

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby rover » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:22 am

Standard Transit nuts will do nicely if you are putting chrome caps on :D (19mm)

Rover.
rover
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby AlanN » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:29 am

rover wrote:Standard Transit nuts will do nicely if you are putting chrome caps on :D (19mm)

Rover.

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby snap-on » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:48 am

Had you thought about having them powder coated Alan?
Dave
When the going gets tough get a Transit
snap-on
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby AlanN » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:23 am

No I hadn't, but I have had it done in the past with a MK2 Cortina, not sure on the cost nowdays but if I remember rightly, they have to be in good condition and these have a lot of pits etc.

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby AlanN » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:58 pm

Some sample anodised bolts arrived in the post today from tastynuts.com So popped them in together with the stainless ones, to an idea what it will look like.

The stainless ones are M4 from screwfix.co.uk at £2.10 per 50, although they dont do stainless lock nuts at M4 or M5 sizes, but a bag of 100 M5 BZP Nyloc's are only £1.15.
The blue anodised bolts are M5 and being made from aluminium the heads are much bigger, they look about the right size to me, similar to the original plastic studs... costing £40.19 FOR 80 delevered to my door, but adding 85 (with a few spares) aluminium nyloc's brings the total over £103.00, so Im going to stick with the BZP nyloc's and paint over them as someone suggested.
What do ya think?

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby OxtonyxO » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:09 pm

they look cool 8)
OxtonyxO
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Luke » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 pm

i like the M5 better, think it suits the wheels more 8)

i take it there will be no clearance problems on the back with the calipers - doubt it but worth a check if you havent allready :D
Luke
Site Admin

Postby AlanN » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:15 pm

These one are 8mm long threads which sticks out the other side by about 2mm tops, but I was thinking of getting the 12mm ones, so I can get a lock nut on, but I hadnt checked Luke... :oops: The plastic studs stuck out a bit, maybe 5 mm but I will check them. I dont think they will hit as they are very close to the inside edge of the wheel, not sure if the calipers are that close are they :?:

AlanN
Site Moderator

Postby chadmat » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:37 pm

Those blue ones look the dogs!! :mrgreen:
In a MK6 280 SWB semi hi!!!!
There you go! At last!
chadmat
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby MONSTER 0NE » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:29 pm

yeah the blue ones look 8) 8) it makes me wanna convert my van to 5 stud and use my spares wheels of fmy old van as they are the same style wheels in nearlly the same condition yours where
Right 5th Transit now A black petrol mk5 swb, soon to be coverted into a day van mpv.
RIP CATDADDY gone but never forgotten you were a true legend
RIP Ratwood another true great gone who will also never be forgotten
MONSTER 0NE
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Members Transit's - Progress Reports!