*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Spongy brakes

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Spongy brakes

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:44 pm

I'm going through this 2008 ford transit tipper, the brakes are terrible, spongy and only brake when near the floor.
I notice a hose broken so changed that then you pressure bleed at 20 psi and bled both front wheels, still terrible, go it be the servo and how do i eliminate that?
Rear dont seem to have bleed nipples unless its something else, any help appreciated
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Spongy brakes

Postby knobby1 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:49 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:I'm going through this 2008 ford transit tipper, the brakes are terrible, spongy and only brake when near the floor.
I notice a hose broken so changed that then you pressure bleed at 20 psi and bled both front wheels, still terrible, go it be the servo and how do i eliminate that?
Rear dont seem to have bleed nipples unless its something else, any help appreciated

If air has made it's way into the ABS module, you'll need to bleed the system via Forscan or IDS....this activates the ABS pump module to allow air to be removed. Pressure bleeding or normal bleeding cannot do this.

Rear brakes, furthest from the master cyl, should be bled first. Rear calipers do indeed have bleed nipples, you need to look a bit harder.

Servo won't cause a spongy pedal.
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 am

So a diag tool runs abs? I can get hold of one but what is procedure please? I mistakenly activated this function on another van and blew an hole in a rusty bit of a pipe
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:08 am

Ive just pressurised the system again 20psi rear wheels just dribbling and not coming thru bleed nipples, not running pedal feels good, soon as a start engine pedals soft and goes to floor, only braking is on the floor almost
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:57 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Ive just pressurised the system again 20psi rear wheels just dribbling and not coming thru bleed nipples, not running pedal feels good, soon as a start engine pedals soft and goes to floor, only braking is on the floor almost

Booster or servo with engine running will give a floating pedal but you should still get a decent pedal and not on the floor...you must have air in the system somewhere.

If bleed nipples are not "bleeding" they may be blocked...or the flex lines may be disintergrating internally.....reasonably common.

Forscan will walk you through the ABS bleeding process...it's fairly simple....just be aware, it uses a stupid amount of brake fluid.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:47 pm

But can i save brake fluid bleeding in bottles on the bleeding process?
gsc1ugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:43 pm

Yes you could as you've bled it a lot already and it will be more or less fresh stuff .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:10 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:But can i save brake fluid bleeding in bottles on the bleeding process?

You need to let it stand for a bit before reusing it, to make sure that the air bubbles are gone :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Return to Technical Problems & Questions