*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Spungy brakes.

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Spungy brakes.

Postby Transit MK7 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:40 pm

I have just changed my front and rear brake pads and bled the whole system but I’ve still got spungy breaks. Watch a couple videos and some people saying that the rubber seals might have blown on the master cylinder from pushing in the pistons. Would anybody know what my issue may be from still having spungy brakes after bleeding the whole system many times. Driving me mad lol.

Got a Transit lwb high roof 2.4 l rwd 2011

Any help would be much appreciated :)
Transit MK7

Re: Spungy brakes.

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:47 pm

1. Master cylinder piston travels to areas its never travelled to , so buggers the seals when you use the pumping pedal method ..so you might have a failed master cylinder now.

or

2. If you have ABS, the abs has to be activated into bleed mode by the forscan software to get the air out of it .

or

3 If it does not have ABS it may have a brake proportional valve, that act up or fail when they get old

4. Your bleed method by pumping pedal isn't doing the job and you need a Gunsons Eezybleed..that pressurise's the master cylinder with the air out of your spare tyre, a tried and tested "CHEAP" device that I have used for years and it's never let me down ..if that does not work ..you are buying a new master cylinder .

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby andz327 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:47 pm

Why did you bleed brakes ? This isn't required when fitting pads,
On the rear pads there's a small nib that has got to locate into the groove of rear piston that the wind back tool goes into or the back brakes won't adjust out properly

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Transit MK7 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:19 pm

My brakes were pretty spungy after changing the pads so thought it would be good to bleed them. We’ve used the easybleed system which hooks up to the spare tyre pressure. I’ve watched a couple videos and it sounds like I’ve probably blown the rubbers on the on the master cylinder. I’ve ordered a new one so hopefully that’ll fix it. I believe it does have abs system so will look into that as well.

Thanks for the help guys anymore is much appreciated.
Transit MK7

Postby Transit MK7 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:22 pm

metalworker0 wrote:1. Master cylinder piston travels to areas its never travelled to , so buggers the seals when you use the pumping pedal method ..so you might have a failed master cylinder now.

or

2. If you have ABS, the abs has to be activated into bleed mode by the forscan software to get the air out of it .

or

3 If it does not have ABS it may have a brake proportional valve, that act up or fail when they get old

4. Your bleed method by pumping pedal isn't doing the job and you need a Gunsons Eezybleed..that pressurise's the master cylinder with the air out of your spare tyre, a tried and tested "CHEAP" device that I have used for years and it's never let me down ..if that does not work ..you are buying a new master cylinder .

all the best.mark

Would you know if this is the case on a 2011 mk7 transit ?
Transit MK7

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:14 pm

well I'm not really sure of the proportional valve ..as of what models its fitted to ..maybe mk6 without ABS..don't know.

and i would not want you buying a new master cylinder unless you were 100 percent sure.

a definite symptom of a worn master cylinder would be pedal going all the way to the floor...that's if the rest of the system is in order.

An Abs system can be bled without forscan, ONLY if there is no air in the ABS unit ..the trouble comes; if you let the master cylinder empty or you empty the system by disconnecting hoses etc ..and let air in ..then you need to "activate" ABS bleed mode on forscan ..this makes the abs unit operate on/off rapidly, it then operates motorised valves to purge the abs unit of air ...I've not done this act myself ..but heard you need a couple of litres of brake fluid if you were to do this.

if you were fitting a new master cylinder ..then air would definitely end up in the ABS unit ( if fitted) there would be no avoiding it --(sometimes)..and you would need to obtain forscan.

(sometimes)

Take note how he purges master cylinder of air ..before connecting pipes to the system ...note he ignores instructions and does it his way ...that seams to work well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_FjzrckA_8

Another thing --- there are several choices of brake fluid these days ..you must make sure you don't mix the wrong ones with each other .

rules are you are aloud DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 preferably one or the other ...although they do mix.

or complete flush and renewals, if you use DOT 5 as this is silicone brake fluid and not comparable with the above DOT 4 or DOT 5.1

i think the factory put in 5.1 as standard

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby knobby1 » Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:11 pm

Transit MK7 wrote:Would you know if this is the case on a 2011 mk7 transit ?

Yes...All Mk7 brake systems are essentially the same, all have ABS...not all of them have traction control and ESP though.

Mk7's don't have a proportioning valve either...only Mk6 non-ABS has it.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby andz327 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:40 am

Transit MK7 wrote:My brakes were pretty spungy after changing the pads so thought it would be good to bleed them. We’ve used the easybleed system which hooks up to the spare tyre pressure. I’ve watched a couple videos and it sounds like I’ve probably blown the rubbers on the on the master cylinder. I’ve ordered a new one so hopefully that’ll fix it. I believe it does have abs system so will look into that as well.

Thanks for the help guys anymore is much appreciated.
Like I said regarding rear pads , the nib on the pad needs to be int the groove othe piston when caliper slides back on for rear brakes to self adjust and can give spongey feel, if you have Forscan ( or scanner that bidirectional control) you can bleed your system using your laptop(or scanner)which operates abs pump to bleed the whole system......, what is condition of brake disks?? Badly scored or worn discs may need pads to bed in for pedal to get better

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk
andz327
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions