*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2018 2.0 Cranking but not starting

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

2018 2.0 Cranking but not starting

Postby Jaythesprayer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:39 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 2.0 damaged transit in the bodyshop at the moment, only 37k miles, it's frontal with all airbags and seatbelts deployed. I need to move it but it will not start, just cranks over. This is the first new shape Custom i've had in with airbags gone, so not sure if its related, the older shape always started, and i have seen damaged new shape ones up for sale with airbags deployed that do start, so unsure on that point.

Any ideas?

No warning messages, scanned it and showing no DTC's

If it was a slipped dreaded wet belt, surely i would have some codes showing, cam or crank sensor??

Any help would be much appreciated
Regards
Jay
Jaythesprayer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: 2018 2.0 Cranking but not starting

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:22 pm

I've heard a lot new vehicles now have a "PYRO FUSE" this is a fuse located near or
close to the battery ..this fuse completely isolates the battery should the air bags go off.

but that would make the whole vehicle dead .

Some also have an inertia switch that isolates certain circuits if in a crash (mainly fuel pump) ..this can be reset, is usually burred under the dash somewhere and is a bight colour like orange or yellow.

all the best.mark
Last edited by metalworker0 on Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jaythesprayer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:27 pm

metalworker0 wrote:I've heard a lot new vehicles now have a "PYRO FUSE" this is a fuse located near or
close to the battery ..this fuse completely isolates the battery should the air bags go off.

all the best.mark

Yeah thats mainly german vehicles, ive done them on VW, Audi and BMW's
ive checked all the fuses near the battery, that normally will stop cranking or kills fuel pump, fuel pump is priming and turning over fine
Jaythesprayer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby metalworker0 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:29 pm

Jaythesprayer wrote:
metalworker0 wrote:I've heard a lot new vehicles now have a "PYRO FUSE" this is a fuse located near or

all the best.mark

Yeah thats mainly german vehicles, ive done them on VW, Audi and BMW's
ive checked all the fuses near the battery, that normally will stop cranking or kills fuel pump, fuel pump is priming and turning over fine

Ive added to the answer above ..

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Jaythesprayer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:34 pm

metalworker0 wrote:
"Some also have an inertia switch that isolates certain circuits if in a crash (mainly fuel pump) ..this can be reset, is usually burred under the dash somewhere and is a bight colour like orange or yellow."

They had them on the old transits, not on the customs.
Ive checked all the obvious, been repairing cars and vans for 30 years, so come across most hurdles, but this one really has me stumped. On live data with the scanner, got good fuel pressure at the rails too.
Thanks for your comments though Mark :D
Jaythesprayer
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby B7adh » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:02 pm

Did you manage to get to the bottom of this, I also have a van with the same issue
B7adh

Return to Technical Problems & Questions