*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Fuel pump coding

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Fuel pump coding

Postby AndyRVTR » Fri May 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Guys, I have the chance of buying a fully re-manufactured fuel pump for my van but the guy says that 'it comes with no codes and it will need to be coded to the vehicle when fitted', my question is, can that be done by my mechanic who fits the pump, or will it need to go to Fords to get coded??
Ford Transit 2.0Di t280 75ps MWB, SHR, Diamond White(ish)
AndyRVTR
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Fuel pump coding

Postby APH » Fri May 24, 2013 5:32 pm

If its a brand new pump with new or re manufactured EDC unit on it, then it will code itself to the van when fitted. If it isn't all new, then you'll have to get someone to do it for you using Ford IDS software. To self code, you MUST follow the process exactly, as you only get one shot at doing it, if it fails or gets interupted halfway through the pump will be locked and you'll then have to get it re done by someone with ford IDS software.

To do it correctly, you must make sure your battery is nicely charged, and after fitting pump and plugging it in, you MUST NOT turn on the ignition untill you are ready to do the learn process.

Once ready to do it, Turn ignition on to position 2 so all dash lights come on but DO NOT turn it to crank or try and start the van. The imobilliser light should come on and go out after 2-3 seconds as normal. If it flashes the pump is locked and it will not code. If all is ok, Leave ignition on for AT LEAST 90 seconds without touching anything else..a bit longer would be good but no less than that (DO NOT look at coding process on other sites that say 10-30 seconds is enough..it will not work), this allows the pump to shake hands with the vans ECU and correctly transfer all the information from one to the other. After that turn ignition OFF completely, wait 10 seconds then turn on and make sure immobiliser lights then goes out as normal. That is it, it should now allow starting, porvided fuel system is all blead correctly. :wink:

Andy :D
03 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 LWB HR white panel van
X reg 2.4 TDDI 90 t350 MWB MR Yellow Panel van
56 reg lwb high roof connect, 1.8 tdci 90 t 220

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

this is bunny

copy and paste to help bunny gain world domination
APH
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby AndyRVTR » Sat May 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks for the reply Andy... I'll ring the mechanic on Tuesday and see what he says.... sent you a PM... :D
Ford Transit 2.0Di t280 75ps MWB, SHR, Diamond White(ish)
AndyRVTR
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tomdp » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 pm

Hi there, did the new pump code itself or did u need to code in the end?

Thanks
Tomdp

Postby knobby1 » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:15 pm

Tomdp wrote:Hi there, did the new pump code itself or did u need to code in the end?

Thanks

Ummm....Thread is 11 years old, the person you're replying to hasn't been back here for 10 years.

You're best off starting a new thread with your issue.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby sherwoodcycles » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:18 pm

I'm glad he asked as I'm thinking of getting a spare and I'd have just fitted it and not known this. Cheers
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:27 pm

sherwoodcycles wrote:I'm glad he asked as I'm thinking of getting a spare and I'd have just fitted it and not known this. Cheers

Why would you buy a spare injection pump :?: :?

Anyway, OP had a Mk6 TDDi, yours is a TDCi, and the pump isn't coded :)
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby sherwoodcycles » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:58 pm

I'd like to have one, so if it fails I'm not stuck trying to.get hold of one. Thanks for the info too. I try to keep changing bits as I can to keep it as reliable as I can.
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:40 pm

sherwoodcycles wrote:I'd like to have one, so if it fails I'm not stuck trying to.get hold of one.

:lol: I've been laughed at for the amount of spare parts I used to carry around with me, but a diesel injection pump for a Custom 2.2 TDCi is way over the top :mrgreen: :lol: The pumps are pretty bullet proof, and generally get changed looking for a problem that turns out to be something else.............

But who knows :mrgreen:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby knobby1 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:39 pm

sherwoodcycles wrote:I'd like to have one, so if it fails I'm not stuck trying to.get hold of one. Thanks for the info too. I try to keep changing bits as I can to keep it as reliable as I can.

What Altransit said...the TDCi pumps very rarely fail....can probably count on one finger the amount we've seen fail...even then is was just a fuel leak.

Lord Knobrot
2008 2.4L RWD 170+PS 6-speed 350 LWB High Roof.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car..!
knobby1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Return to Technical Problems & Questions