*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

clicking starter or solenoid

Use this forum to post technical questions & problems about any Transit

Moderator: Luke

Postby zoz from oz » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:34 am

Hey Smarty..Still no joy?? After you check your earth with the jumper lead, do the same thing to check the Starter and Solenoid operation. Connect a jumper lead from the POS. on your battery with the solenoid.If it clicks,it could be the internal contacts.If it works by this method then you have to look for a resistance in your circuit. Then connect the jumper to the screw terminal of the starter(the one next to where your battery cable bolts to) If it spins by this method your problem is your cable, If it contiues to click the Starter is NFG.Important. Keep well clear of moving parts. Make certain your trans. is in park or neutral.
Whats this wire do?
zoz from oz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Smooth Hound » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Smarty wrote:I had a good bit of advice today, if I suspect the earth then use a jump lead and fasten one crocodile clip to the starter and the other to the battery neg or a good chassis point. If no different prob not earth problem but if roars away - bingo earth need cleaning.

It may not be a full test but it has got to be a place to start.

Smarty 8)

Well sometimes things are so obvious, you dont think of them, sounds like a bl...y good idea that. when i can get out of here i will borrow my sons leads and try that, Ill let you know how it goes, but dont hold your breathe, i have been snowed in for 2 days now and I cant see that changing before monday, thats if we have no more.
Mike
Smooth Hound
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby jack russell » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:20 pm

well folks

since i fitted the new battery i have had no bother at all :lol:

cheers

jr
jack russell
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby djswampy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:15 pm

When installing a new battery. Put Vaseline on the terminals. These can corrode up too. Also if its a traditional style one. check the Electrolyte levels every six months. It should help to keep your battery in tip top condition.
Mk5 LWB 190, 2.5di banana SHR, 3 seats, SLD, Twin rear doors (rusted bottoms), manual locking & windows. For sale £700, comes with replacement set of doors
djswampy
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Location: Colchester. Transit: mk5, '96, 2.5di banana, lwb, semi roof, 190

Postby Smarty » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:50 pm

Hello All,
Well I did not get the starter off, not having a manual to find all the bolts, I did not want to go messing with moving anything out of the way.

Anyway while I was underneath, I took off and cleaned and refitted the connections - yes with vaseline...

We up to now it has started every time, I will never know if it is because of what I have done or the weather getting a bit milder... I hope it is the first.

The main thing is she is running now.

I still have the niggling feeling there is some corrosion lurking... what "generally" will it cost to have a new starter/solenoid fitted? Is it a costly job?, or is it just 2 or 3 bolts but I needed to know where to look?

I have changed starters etc before but they were in the good old days of ... space down the engine bay and su carbs... starting handle holes in the front bumper....

Any way providing she keeps starting - I am happy.

By the way she is a 51 plate with 45,000 on the clock so I hope she will be trouble free for a couple of years... yea I know ... start savin'

Smarty :shock:
Smarty
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jack russell » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:54 am

hi all

just recently been doing some short journeys again and they new battery drained causing the clicking

my neighbour had a bit time on his hands and tracked the drain from the battery to an old mobile phone hands free kit still connected but not in use i also had a hands free also permanent live :roll: .

since we disconnected the old un no probs so far

cheers

jr
jack russell
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Technical Problems & Questions